Manipulating the coordinates of solid subtraction

Hi There, 

So make a square and you can manipulate the location of this object by the X,Y&Z coordinates in the object info. once i extrude this i loose this ability. I know i have done it sometimes by making a group but not always. 

I know about the move tools but this only moves in relation to the current location. How do i change the current location? 

I am sure the Engineers would have a heart attack if they can not specify a precise location for an object so i am asuming i have missed some info in my search for a solution. 

Thanks in advance.  

You can use the Move by Points tool.

Click on the point of the object that you want to move. Then hit the tab key repeatedly until the dynamic display shows the X/Y/Z fields. Type the point you want to move to into those fields. After the Z field either hit Tab or Return and you should get a reference point at the point you entered. Click on that point and the original point on the object will be moved to that point.

I recommend trying this in a simple file first to get the hang of how it works.