Data Tag says no eligible object is selected

Christiaan

Question

The Data Tag tool is doing my head in. I'm trying to tag walls using the default Wall Tag w Leader definition but no matter which mode I use it says 'no eligible object is selected' when I click on the wall. I've added a my text to the Mark field in the Data tab of my Wall Style. Is there something else I'm meant to be doing?

• Like 1

I don't know why it is not accepting your wall. If you can upload the file somewhere I would be glad to take a look.

At least my version of the Wall Tag w Leader definitions shipped with VW2020 does not return the field you want. It defaults to the 

IFS Wall Standard Case, Wall Common, Reference Field, not the  IFC Wall Standard Case, Tag Field, so you will want to set up a custom Tag Style Definition once we figure out why the tag is not inserting.

Please try and insert a different Data Tag. Perhaps one of the Number Stamp styles that will accept any object as a target. I want to see if it is a problem with the Data Tag tool in general or just your tag.

If it does not work, please create a new blank file and put a single simple wall. Try inserting both Number Stamp and Wall Tag w Leader objects there.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

I will keep playing as time permits today, but I am stumped right now.

In your file the Tag tool will not see any walls. If used in the From Tag mode, it will see other objects and ask if you want to attach the proper records to those object.

Copy your wall to a new blank file and it works fine.

Copy the wall back. Nothing works. 

Copy the wall back with tags attached and the pasted tag links are broken.

It feels like a corrupt file to me.

@Gunther Any other reports on tags not recognizing walls?

• Like 1

Nope definitely not in Group.  Both Styled and Unstyles walls are not being seen as tagable in a specific file.  Layer Options set to Show Snap Others. Class options set to Show Snap Modify others. Even with Layer Options set to Active Only and the wall selected the Tag tool does not recognize the wall as tagable.  Copy the wall into a blank file and it tags as expected.

I will leave it to @Christiaan to determine if he wants to submit the file as a bug or to tech support.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi All,

I looked the short video of Christiaan and I saw that the wall in his file has ifcWall. The default Wall Tag w Leader is looking for ifcWallStandardCase and this is the reason why his walls does not recognized by this data tag style. If you want to recognize both IFC, I recommend to use #AnyIFCEntity#.#Pset_WallCommon#.#Reference#. I attached a simple file with modified style.

Best Regards,

Kostadin Ivanov

New Wall Tag w Leader.vwx

• Like 3

@KIvanov You are right. I did not notice that the IFC changed when the wall was pasted into a new blank file. In the original file it is ifcWall. In the blank file it is ifcWallStandardCase. When it was then copied and pasted back it again had ifdwall.

Not having the IFC record move with the object when pasted between files seems like a large potential trouble source to me. I think wall tags need a better error mode than just No Eligible Object is selected. Perhaps an option to indicate what record that is being looked for is missing?

Thanks for catching this.

@Christiaan let us know if you need help in editing the tag format to match how your walls are defined.

• Like 1
On 1/7/2020 at 7:40 AM, KIvanov said:

I looked the short video of Christiaan and I saw that the wall in his file has ifcWall. The default Wall Tag w Leader is looking for ifcWallStandardCase and this is the reason why his walls does not recognized by this data tag style. If you want to recognize both IFC, I recommend to use #AnyIFCEntity#.#Pset_WallCommon#.#Reference#. I attached a simple file with modified style.

Well spotted, thanks Kostadin. It was just coincidental that I had the data tab open. Shall I submit a bug on this one?

On 1/7/2020 at 3:16 PM, Pat Stanford said:

@Christiaan let us know if you need help in editing the tag format to match how your walls are defined.

Thanks again Pat. I haven't managed to get Kostadin's altered tag to work in my file.

Do I need to edit my Wall Styles as well? Strange thing is IfcWall is checked for my wall instances in the data tab of OIP but the Wall Styles themselves are using IfcWallStandardCase. 

When I try to edit a wall instance by unchecking ifcWall it tells me the default entity can't be removed.

Either way altering my wall tag to use "#AnyIFCEntity#.#Pset_WallCommon#.#Reference#" still didn't recognise my walls.

I don't actually understand where Kostadin's file is getting the EW-1 tags from either. Where is this data in the unstyled walls?

Edited by Christiaan

Odd. I seem to have fixed it by selecting a wall instance in my file, then clicking on the PredefinedType menu in the data tab of the OIP and selecting Standard. After that all walls are recognised by the tag.

Edit: unfortunately the above little fix doesn't translate over to my layer import workgroup reference file.

701625374_Screenshot2020-01-24at15_23_32.thumb.png.b0730139f4799aafcace24e5eba7fa6d.png

Edited by Christiaan

The actual permanent solution is to decide if you are using ifdwall or ifCWallStandardCase as the pSet for your file. Pick the one you want, set all the walls to that pSet and then edit the Tag to look for that record and you should be all set.

Or maybe you have to have Tags set up for each of the two pSets and make sure you choose the correct tag for the pSet in use.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Pick the one you want, set all the walls to that pSet

How do I actually do that? Do I set all the Wall Styles or all wall instances, or both? If I go to the IFC data in my Wall Styles it looks like they're already set to ifCWallStandardCase, but I'm not entirely sure what pSet is or how I change it.

I think I've worked out how to do it, which is to select groups of wall instances of the same Style and pSet, go to the data tab in the OIP and click on Attach IFC, then search and select ifcWallStandardCase

Problem is the tags configured as KIvanov suggested then go blank:

#AnyIFCEntity#.#Pset_WallCommon#.#Reference#

Edited by Christiaan

I just had the same issue where all my data tags attached to wall styles lost their association. After reading this post, I looked back at an archived version of my file and I had the same ifcWall/ifcWallStandardCase discrepancy between the two files. I recalled that I recently exported the model in my file as IFC v4. I decided to see what happened if I export as IFC v2x3. As soon as I did that, all my walls reverted back to the ifcWallStandardCase. The data tags immediately got back their association. Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

Hi there,

I have the same problem but with tagging trusses. I have made a tag for use in eligible mode. It displays the length of a truss item. In the tag field the data is linked to a record, which is attached to the tag. So I also have the length pulled into the record. I need this for further work with data viz and marionette.

But as soon as I set the "link to data source" my tag says "no eligible object is selected" and the trusses aren't detected.

If I don't set the data link everything works fine.

I attached a file with two tags, the only difference between them is the active link.

I think this is a bug!?

I need it to work in eligible mode, in label mode it also works. But in my case this is useless. 

If not a bug, how can I then pull out data from a tag (the data it the tag itself pulls out from an object) into data viz or marionette?

Bildschirmfoto2023-11-03um15_07_53.thumb.png.5ed4562db0941f50452d644006fb1c9a.png

Thank you!

DTag.vwx

The 'Truss Length Tag' is working for me. The first time I used it I got this message:

Screenshot2023-11-03at15_30_12.thumb.png.339c5258b3f05d59ec6389bf88f68da4.png

I just clicked 'Read from Data Tag' + 'Don't show again' + that was it.

Screenshot2023-11-03at15_37_21.thumb.png.22b93c01962e50e4ddabaf6a936f36ed.png

In fact I closed the file, shut down VW + restarted + now the tag is working without that message coming up at all...

@Tom W. Thank you for your answer! I first wondered why it is working and then got it. But I'm sorry - I think I was not precise enough:

You are in the "SINGLE eligible mode" - correct? (Because only one truss is highlighted in red)

Please try again in "ALL eligible mode" or "SELECTED eligible mode - this is what I need.

I only get your message when placing in SINGLE eligible mode. ALL or SELECTED mode always gives me the error message.

SINGLE or LABEL mode is not possible for me, because there are hundreds of trusses to be tagged.

Aha I see... And you're right - I never noticed this before! I have my own Data Tag that has a Record attached for Data Vis purposes + testing it now the same thing happens: I can only apply it in Single Eligible Object Mode (which in fairness is the only way I've ever needed to use it).

I think it must be down to the fact that the Data Tag is looking for an object with that Record attached to it + somehow in Single mode you can get away with it but in All mode you can't. Not sure why that would be: just because of the different ways the two modes work? It's also strange how I got that message saying that the Data Tag required the Record to be attached to the object initially but then I haven't seen it again since, despite restarting VW a couple of times since then + despite trying my own tag as well. 

Perhaps @Nikolay Zhelyazkov or @Pat Stanford can shed some light on the matter.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Tom W., @Rob87,

I will start from the easy one:

13 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

It's also strange how I got that message saying that the Data Tag required the Record to be attached to the object initially but then I haven't seen it again since, despite restarting VW a couple of times since then + despite trying my own tag as well. 

On 11/3/2023 at 5:39 PM, Tom W. said:

I just clicked 'Read from Data Tag' + 'Don't show again' + that was it.

- When you click Don't show again your answer is usually saved in the user folder. This means that even if you restart Vectorworks your answer will still be remembered. You can clear all saved settings from Vectorworks Preferences->Session->Reset Saved Settings... but keep in mind that this will clear all saved settings.

Now to the big one: why does the data tag tool ignores objects without records that are actually attached to the data tag in the All/Selected Eligible objects modes? Well the reason is simple, usually in Single Eligible Object mode you are asked if you want to attach the record to the object or you want to use the one from the Tag. However, when you do this for more objects we have to either show the dialog for each conflict, or once and for all or something else. In order to avoid unintended consequences it was decided to not allow these modes to attach records as the attaching might be left hidden from the user.

If you think that this should work otherwise, please create a wishlist thread about this where it can be discussed and considered.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @Tom W., @Rob87,

I will start from the easy one:

- When you click Don't show again your answer is usually saved in the user folder. This means that even if you restart Vectorworks your answer will still be remembered. You can clear all saved settings from Vectorworks Preferences->Session->Reset Saved Settings... but keep in mind that this will clear all saved settings.

Now to the big one: why does the data tag tool ignores objects without records that are actually attached to the data tag in the All/Selected Eligible objects modes? Well the reason is simple, usually in Single Eligible Object mode you are asked if you want to attach the record to the object or you want to use the one from the Tag. However, when you do this for more objects we have to either show the dialog for each conflict, or once and for all or something else. In order to avoid unintended consequences it was decided to not allow these modes to attach records as the attaching might be left hidden from the user.

If you think that this should work otherwise, please create a wishlist thread about this where it can be discussed and considered.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Ok wow, that is information I really needed. Even in the help section - which is usually really detailed - was nothing about it. So, thank you for your quick reply.

Too bad this was the way the problem has been solved. There must be a way in between. I will create a thread.

Thank you!

• Like 2