Let us copy and paste viewports into different documents

VWX USER 1

Question

Let us copy and paste viewports into different documents! This would at least buy back so much time when we are having to spend hours re-doing our corrupted work from "unexpected end of file..." error!!! Just make them as windows into world-based space so that the coordinates of the window follow into the new file... so as long as a paste my drawings in place, the viewports will align and so will the annotations!

• Like 4

16 answers to this question

You can.

Go to the Viewport you want to copy and Group it (do not convert to group, just run the Group command on it).

Copy the group to the clipboard

Paste on a sheet layer in the new document.

As far as I am aware, all parameters will be copied over and you should see the Viewport in place. It will NOT copy the geometry contained within it, but I believe it will copy the class assignments etc etc and goes along way towards re-making a file if you have run into problems.

Let me know how you get on...... It would be interesting to know how well it works!

• Like 1

@markdd, I just tried this and while it does allow me to copy and paste the group with the viewport in it, the viewport seems to be essentially non-functional, as it does not show the content from the design layer that should be visible through the window and it is not letting me double click and edit the design layer as is possible typically. I will note, however, that it is acting like a viewport in the sense that when I double click on it the "Edit Viewport" dialogue box does pop up, it just doesn't let me do anything besides annotate the empty viewport from there.

I just tried it with a few objects and found that I needed to make sure that Layer and Class visibilities were correct within the Viewport. Otherwise the objects showed up just fine. Make sure you "paste in place" the design layer objects from the other file......

I have used this method in the past combined with the Layer Import function (including geometry) of the New Layers Dialogue box. This at least got me back to somewhere near where I left off after a file was corrupted.

I think if you have viewport annotations, then this method is an invaluable workaround.

Wow this is a useful workaround to being able to copy viewports within files! 

just tried is and I found that after coping all classes and layers where turned of in the copied viewport. After turning them on I got the same view as in the original file. I will probably use this in the future! 

however I do agree that this should be a more workable function within the software. For instance being able to have a viewport import just like a layer import. So I upvoted the request. 

Guest Alex Sagatov
On 1/3/2020 at 7:04 PM, ScottLebsack said:

This is one of the items I miss from AutoCAD, along with panning viewports, rather than moving crops and then moving the viewport.

If I am following correctly, this is possible. If you right click on the viewport and choose to edit the crop, you can then use translate view (Visualization Toolset) to move the model around in the viewport while keeping the crop in place on the sheet.

6 minutes ago, Alex Sagatov said:

If I am following correctly, this is possible. If you right click on the viewport and choose to edit the crop, you can then use translate view (Visualization Toolset) to move the model around in the viewport while keeping the crop in place on the sheet.

Sadly, only in 3D. If you do this in a Top/Plan projection then it reverts back to the original position.

Now, it that anomoly could be fixed......

Guest Alex Sagatov
1 minute ago, markdd said:

Sadly, only in 3D. If you do this in a Top/Plan projection then it reverts back to the original position.

Now, it that anomoly could be fixed......

Ahh... Never noticed that. I will research and submitted as needed.

I'm always nervous about Copy/Paste from the clipboard from one document to another. If I want to copy information from one file to another I always make the info I want copied into a symbol, then import the symbol to the new document & then change the symbol to a group & ungroup & delete the symbol. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I'm always nervous about Copy/Paste from the clipboard from one document to another. If I want to copy information from one file to another I always make the info I want copied into a symbol, then import the symbol to the new document & then change the symbol to a group & ungroup & delete the symbol. 

what does that prevent? 

This would be an amazing implementation. There have been many times where I have to move everything to a new file through the organization window (Due to bugs in the file), and then I have to recreate my viewports (Or do the workaround that was mentioned). More work then just being able to import them through a single command.

@Sebastiaan 

I was told years ago that using the clip board between one file & another may introduce minor errors that can lead to file corruptions. The analogy I was given was that using the clip board between files is like a "photo copy of a photo copy". So as an abundance of caution I use either Reference information from another file, or import a symbol as these techniques are designed specifically to import info from one file to another. 

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

@Sebastiaan 

I was told years ago that using the clip board between one file & another may introduce minor errors that can lead to file corruptions. The analogy I was given was that using the clip board between files is like a "photo copy of a photo copy". So as an abundance of caution I use either Reference information from another file, or import a symbol as these techniques are designed specifically to import info from one file to another. 

interesting theory. I wonder if that is actually the way it works? Who would be able to tell us if that is so? 

I copy and paste in place all the time. 

• Like 1