New Truss components for Braceworks

BMYDesign

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@BMYDesign At this point in time there really is no HOW TO or documentation for adding your own engineering information.  This is all done through code and XML files for all shipped content.  I am currently working on creating a document in between working on manufacturer libraries to explain all of the steps from creating the truss geometry to making it Braceworks compatible but there is no timeframe for completion.  I have attached an image for you that shows what elements of the engineering data are needed and where they are placed in the Cross Section data in the Truss Properties window.  To access this page simply open the Truss Properties window and choose "Change Cross Section".  A window will open where you can enter all of your engineering data and choose the appropriate shapes from dropdown menus.

Keep in mind though that custom truss cross sections DO NOT transfer from document to document.  If you try to import the custom symbols into another document the cross section will be removed and the truss will return to a Rigid cross section.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Truss Cross Section Creation.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 12:10 AM, JustinVH said:

To access this page simply open the Truss Properties window and choose "Change Cross Section".

Thanks Justin for this information and that diagram is very useful. I'm sure the button for 'Change Cross Section' used to be in the OIP but I can only get to this now by right clicking the Truss object and finding it in the contextual menu. Is that the only way to access 'Change Cross Section'?

Thanks,

Peter

I have a new 16"x16" spigoted truss from Tomcat that braceworks does not have yet.  I have the engineering specs for 8' sections and hoping this will translate to using 5' and 10' sections also, but don't have my hopes up. I would love some guidance on what some of the vectorworks cross section data is referring to.  Specifically, the brace design, circular or alternating????....not sure what "circular" vs "alternating" actually means.   Also, which Moment of inertia (ie... moment of inertia of chord, "strong moment of inertia, by length" ( under global truss properties).  Is there any clarification here?  I have analyzed the previous picture you posted on this thread, but these questions remain.

Edited by a guy

@a guy Is there any way that you can DM me the engineering data for the truss and I can take a look.  I just create the geometry and setup the auto connect information.  The Braceworks information is setup by our structural engineer and then coded into the software.  I may be able to decipher though if you send it to me, no promises though.

• 1 year later...

@JustinVH

I have similar issue. I started a metric drawing in meter but most of the truss properties. mostly use prolyte. H30V work fine, H40V showing the good dimensions but the length is 3000m instead of 3m and the cross section data empty. similar with Litec QX, QH...

So before I start to draw place a new symbol then right click-Customize Truss Symbol Data then modify the truss properties.

After I finished the main grid (adopt all Symbol) I started to work side trusses. Main grid include over 300 truss in ONE system with 60 cubes and least with 4 ATT attachment. so it is big. after I finished with side trusses and other structures on different layer going back again and use H40V but forgot all properties. like H40 Block forgot not only the cross section data, forgot all 6 side parameters. Now I modified again the symbol's properties, but drop my main grid truss system. Just let me know what can I do because it is really frustrated.

I also have problem to configuring some custom truss. Specially a circle. it looks like all fine but the connection is away from the truss section.

it is 2021 Spotlight w Braceworks.

@Papeter Are you looking in the Data pane or the shape pane of the Object info palette for the truss length?

The data pane references a different data record from the truss properties, the data pane uses the 'Truss Record' and the units displayed do not change with the document units (it uses mm). This is the legacy truss record from before Spotlight added Braceworks. It is still included because many users find it useful for documentation and other purposes, but the data contained doesn't affect how the truss object behaves in Spotlight.

Tthe Properties pane displays data from the  BrxTrussItemRecord. This is what controls how the truss object behaves in Spotlight and contains all of the data needed for auto connect, Braceworks and other Spotlight functions, including displaying length based on the document units.

Because accidentally editing this record can break Braceworks and several other Spotlight features the decision was made to change how this record is accessed in 2021. Previously you could access this from the truss properties, now you have to use the Customize Truss Data command in the mouse context menu (right click on the truss)

For your custom circular truss to function correctly with Braceworks and auto-connect it either needs to be created with the curved truss tool

or when the truss geometry is from elsewhere (imported or self drawn) you need to convert it to a symbol (use the create symbol command from the modify menu) and then run the 'Convert to Truss' command from the Braceworks menu.

This will attach the BrxTrussItemRecord and open the Truss properties dialogue, so you can configure the truss. Make sure you use the circular truss tab.

@JCodgell

I'm not understand everything what you say. I'm relative new in Vectorworks after have WYG over 20 years...

Now I created a new blank document from Spotlight Metric tmp. select from Vectorworks library the Prolyte H40V-300 truss. placed on the plot. to connect the second truss I can connect only 1 side of the truss. finish truss tool, select this truss, right click and choose "Customize truss symbol Data" then arrive to truss Properties - Is this the Braceworks Data? so than in the Straight Truss tab looks like everything correct but doesn't. I click to "change cross section" inside Cross section Data, come up the pop up window. the data shows everything fine. Prolyte H40V details. press OK. than Press OK on the truss properties. than my symbol work!!! if I check in ISO view I see the cross on both end which was empty before. doing the same on most H40V items. I think except H40V-250 what I found on this test. The Box corner is different because when I opened this Truss Properties on the same way under the custom geometry all x,y,z data is 0 so here I must to change the details to than press OK. than the symbol work.

if I use my metric meter template -was created a standard metric template of VW just changed the units than saved for temp.-, when I access the same truss property windows (hopefully Braceworks) the H40V-300 showing at length 3000. I must put behind the "mm" measure than change and showing 3 instead of earlier 3000.

I attached my test file created from Spotlight Metric include trusses. the 1m and 1.5 meter section was not modified so doesn't worked. Fixture test.vwx I also attached a new test for you without any editing. you can see just the 2.5m section able to connect normally on both side you also can see on the cube that cross data also missing.

Regarding with the circle I created as you wrote with the circle truss tools than created a symbol than convert to truss, than setup circle truss properties. it look good but doesntVW support test.vwx attached this test include my circle..thanks for your help!

• 3 months later...
On 1/13/2020 at 9:59 PM, Joe Pro said:

I have a new 16"x16" spigoted truss from Tomcat that braceworks does not have yet.  I have the engineering specs for 8' sections and hoping this will translate to using 5' and 10' sections also, but don't have my hopes up. I would love some guidance on what some of the vectorworks cross section data is referring to.  Specifically, the brace design, circular or alternating????....not sure what "circular" vs "alternating" actually means.   Also, which Moment of inertia (ie... moment of inertia of chord, "strong moment of inertia, by length" ( under global truss properties).  Is there any clarification here?  I have analyzed the previous picture you posted on this thread, but these questions remain.

Did you ever get this figured out? Im working with what I think is the same truss and having a hell of a time converting to truss that braceworks will recognize.