Truss Object Workflow

I am trying to get my head around the "Truss Object" workflow as compared to the "truss Symbol" workflow - specifically, in terms of editing truss Systems/assemblies.

In the attached file is a truss System/assembly created using the Truss Insertion tool and "Truss Object"-enabled Symbols.  What is workflow YOU would follow (VW-ascribed or not) to...:

1)  Swap out the 4 silver 10' sections for 4 black sections?

2)  Swap out the right-end 10' section for an 8'?

3)  Swap out the 4, 10's for 8, 5's?

I've included other truss Symbols (enabled to work w. the Truss tool) for your convenience.

Really simple under the "Symbol" workflow:  Select a Symbol instance and, after clicking "Replace" in either the right-click menu or in the OIP, select the new Symbol - and then, if necessary, add needed sections.  I'm not seeing the same simplicity w. the "Truss Object" workflow and would welcome any counsel.

2020_Truss_Tinkering.vwx

• Like 3

Perhaps it is just me, however, from a design mindset, it is important to get ideas out of one’s head and into the computer as quickly and accurately as possible. It seems like the initial design process has become overly complicated in service of simplifying the details required after a design has been approved. I find it frustrating and typically just avoid it altogether. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, scottmoore said:

Perhaps it is just me, however, from a design mindset, it is important to get ideas out of one’s head and into the computer as quickly and accurately as possible. It seems like the initial design process has become overly complicated in service of simplifying the details required after a design has been approved. I find it frustrating and typically just avoid it altogether. 

That perfectly describes my chief criticism of most new "improvements" introduced over the past few years: death by a thousand clicks.

To Andy's point: a symbol that's properly classed, should be replaced with the same attributes and in the same orientation. Otherwise, it's "Two steps forward (six steps back, six steps back, six steps back, six steps back)".

This is why most of the shops and designers I work with don't even use the Title Black Tool (and when they do, they heavily misuse it).

• Like 3