Sharing Custom Content Using Workgroup Folders

I am wondering if anyone had thoughts about best practices for workgroup folder organization.

When sharing custom content using workgroup folders within a small office, is it better to copy the entire contents of the Library Folder and add the additional files (like office standard walls and hatches) into folders that have the defaults? Or is it better to only include the vwx files that are supplemental, so the customized content easier to find?

Workgroup folders are somewhat confusing to most people in my office.

It depends on how strict you want to be about shared content.

If a file with the same name exists in both the VW Application folder and the Workgroup folder, then the content in the Applications folder will not be accessible as Default Content and you will have to include everything in the file in the Workgroup folder.  This is very good if you want to exert a lot of control over what items are available to your users. 

Alternatively, you can use a file with a different name in the Workgroup folder and then the content in both files will be available as Default Content. This is good if you want to have office standards but still have access to all of the content that ships with VW also.

I personally prefer the second option, but I know there are offices that need complete control so that the first option is more appropriate.

You can actually have more than one file in each category, so you could break out content for commercial vs residential.

Be careful of users creating default content in their User Library. If they happen to use the same file name as the files in the Application or Workgroup they will hide that content from themselves.

I think I have commented in almost all of the threads regarding Workgroup Folders on the forum. It might me worth a quick read through of some of the older threads. Do an Advanced Search on my name and Workgroup and you will get to most of the content pretty quickly.

• Like 3