Custom Data Tags

Guest Wes Gardner

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi All,

There's been alot of discussion regarding the Data Tag Tool since its introduction in 2019.  Several folks have built some pretty cool data tags to solve their particular issue.

In this thread, please post your custom tag and a brief description of how it works or any additional information that'll make it easy to use.

It would be cool if we could keep this thread to JUST new/cool tags and keep any requests for "how to" or other issues in a separate thread...thanks for understanding.

All industries are invited to participate.

Guest Wes Gardner

Door Dimensions on Leaf

This tag gives you the ability to show the dimensions of the door leaf on/near/beside the leaf.  I've updated this to include three versions.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.44.41 AM.png

Guest Wes Gardner

@Josh Schulman, here's a simple tag that you can attach to a symbol and then give it a name and color.  You can add additional fields to the Record, etc. as needed.   The tag is set up to look for the field in the record called "Name".  Edit the tag to see...The worksheet is set up to show the two fields called "Color" and "Name" from the Record

Symbol Name.vwx

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Wes Gardner

Cabinet Size tag

Here's a tag that will show the size of both base and upper cabinets (without the dimension "ticks").  There are several configurations and of course, you can easily change the font size, whether or not you want a box around the data, etc.  Check out the file...you'll need both the tag and the Record.  The record lets you change from "B" for base to maybe "SB" for sink base, etc. (you'll find that function in the "Edit Tag Data" button in the OIP)  Works on both design and sheet layers (in viewports in Annotation space)

Enjoy

Cabinet tags.png

Cabinet Tags.vwx

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have a unique tag to contribute (see below), but I was thrilled to figure out how to edit them to include the data I want. I use a door key that uses the Prefix / ID Label / Suffix (probably incorrectly) I was able to edit a tag to suit my preferences. 

What is great about Data Tags, is they work at all scales of the VP. For instance, I like to have enlarged plans, but I have never found a way to have the ID label scale with the floor plan. Therefore, I have turned the class off with the ID Label. This also works in Sections, which is much easier than fumbling with an ID tag in 3D. That often appears backwards for me.

Thankfully, this is no longer an issue!

Door ID.jpg

door key.vwx

Edited by leecalisti
  • Like 3
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Lastly, I made a few Slab Styles (included here) which are 0 thickness and only show as a border. I use these as floor slab Gridlines on their own Class. You can draw the "slab" around your building footprint and assign to the Story / Layer you want. Tag these and it will display the Story and the Elevation of the story. Very useful for keeping track of things like FF, Parapet, Ceiling Height etc...

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 1.51.52 PM.png

Story Grid Tool.vwx

@techdef I like this idea, but it concerns me to have another "thing" to keep track of in the model. I do these types of things for this reason, but if you move the actual slab or parapet, you have to remember to move this object as well. Otherwise, I like the idea.

15 hours ago, techdef said:

Lastly, I made a few Slab Styles (included here) which are 0 thickness and only show as a border. I use these as floor slab Gridlines on their own Class. You can draw the "slab" around your building footprint and assign to the Story / Layer you want. Tag these and it will display the Story and the Elevation of the story. Very useful for keeping track of things like FF, Parapet, Ceiling Height etc...

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 1.51.52 PM.png

Story Grid Tool.vwx 478.64 kB · 0 downloads

@leecalisti, Glad you got the idea - the whole point to me is that you DONT have to move it. I usually start with these the size of my property lines, or perhaps the setback envelope. Since they're SLABS that are assigned to a level on a story, they move automatically if you change the story heights. With the tag applied to that object, it will move and auto-update too. 

Best of all, you can duplicate and rotate the tag so you can see them in ELEVATIONS and SECTIONS! Finally, the gridlines in 3d that auto-update!

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.34.04 AM.png

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...
On 1/30/2020 at 10:43 AM, Wes Gardner said:

Cabinet Size tag

Here's a tag that will show the size of both base and upper cabinets (without the dimension "ticks").  There are several configurations and of course, you can easily change the font size, whether or not you want a box around the data, etc.  Check out the file...you'll need both the tag and the Record.  The record lets you change from "B" for base to maybe "SB" for sink base, etc. (you'll find that function in the "Edit Tag Data" button in the OIP)  Works on both design and sheet layers (in viewports in Annotation space)

Enjoy

Cabinet tags.png

Cabinet Tags.vwx

Wes,

do you have this VW2019 Architect format?

Also, what Data Tag Type did you use?

On 1/2/2020 at 4:13 PM, Wes Gardner said:

Spot Elevation for Slab

This tag gives you the ability to show a spot elevation for the top of slab.  It ONLY really works in plan as the actual tag is placed at "0" of the design layer that it's on.

Spot Elevation for Slab.jpg

Spot Elevation for Slab.vwx

Hi @Wes Gardner! Would you be able to help out with a data tag that shows the spot elevation for any point on a sloping hardscape as pictured below? I would have used a stake but it seems they won't give me the elevation from a hardscape.

image.thumb.png.f460c3cece5e669b28f8af02ce0116e1.png

• 1 month later...
  • JuanP unpinned this topic