Batch Convert Request...

shorter

Question

Hello, and Happy New Year.

When converting projects using the Batch Convert command (Is there any other way...?) could we please have an option to 'Ignore Errors'?  There is little point Vectorworks stopping when there is nothing you can do except click OK to continue the conversion.

The alert telling you that the file path is too long could also do with more information.

I have found the file referred to whilst converting a project today but it's location is well below what I thought was the limit of 256 characters in the file path.

How does Vectorworks determine if the file path is too long?  Does the file path inclue the IP address or DNS address, or does it start from /Volumes/...?

• Like 2

6 answers to this question

On 1/2/2020 at 12:29 PM, shorter said:

Does the file path inclue the IP address or DNS address, or does it start from /Volumes/...?

It uses the entire path as far as I can tell, including the file name itself.

I don't think there is a limit to the number of folder levels (some programs run into trouble if the number of levels exceeds a certain number) but the file name is relatively long then the combination may cause the path length maximum to be exceeded.

Are there referenced files that need to be converted as well? If yes perhaps the issues is with those referenced files causing the path length to be exceeded.

Moving up the containing folder(s) a few levels and then redo the batch convert might then solve the issue.

Unless the referenced files are in vastly different locations (e.g. not in subfolders or sibling folders) the folders containing referenced files should preferably also be moved up.

Would it be an option to copy the file structure to a different drive at its root level? This assuming that the referenced files are using relative references instead of hard references. If that would be possible then you could at least do a batch convert and then put the converted files back to the original location if that is the intent of the batch convert.

I have no idea if there are references. There probably are since we use it aggressively but usually moving files is not sensible unless you know what you are doing and are prepared to fix the damaged caused by moving them.

but files in folders so deep are highly unlikely to be referencing within the folder they are saved. These files tend to be superseded files which ought not to be there anyway.

it is user error that the file path is so long but it’s annoying not to be able to ignore errors since I could be sitting there all night waiting for an error or come back in the morning to find it stalled on the first file.

8 hours ago, shorter said:

it is user error that the file path is so long but it’s annoying not to be able to ignore errors since I could be sitting there all night waiting for an error or come back in the morning to find it stalled on the first file.

Oh yes, that would be quite frustrating to find out.

One of the programs I use has an option to allow for file paths longer than 256 characters by preceding the path with \\?\ , e.g. \\?\C:\<path name more than 256 characters> though I don't think this would work in VW as it may be specific for that program (I never tried it in other programs so I might be wrong).

I don't know if it is possible at all for Vectorworks to have some setting that allows for path names longer than 256 characters, but I've seen project file names that can get quite long and if things are down into some subfolders with also a bit long filenames then it may become a problem quite quickly so an option for really long path names would be nice, or as you requested to have a setting that allows for batch convert without stopping on errors (but with a log file so that you can trace back which conversions succeeded and which not).