Objects not hiding while editing groups

MHBrown

Question

Pretty big bug here. Not as big a the missing control handles bug, but still big.

Although I have "show other objects while in editing mode" deselected, VW is still showing everything while I am editing. I am finding VW2020 to be a bug-infested mess and I am somewhat embarrassed since I recommended it to my company, coming from VW 2018. What is up with this? Is anyone else experiencing objects not hiding themselves while editing? I could not find a topic on this in the forums. VW2020 Mac Catalina

Mike

13 answers to this question

56 minutes ago, MHBrown said:

Pretty big bug here. Not as big a the missing control handles bug, but still big.

Although I have "show other objects while in editing mode" deselected, VW is still showing everything while I am editing. I am finding VW2020 to be a bug-infested mess and I am somewhat embarrassed since I recommended it to my company, coming from VW 2018. What is up with this? Is anyone else experiencing objects not hiding themselves while editing? I could not find a topic on this in the forums. VW2020 Mac Catalina

Mike

I haven't seen this with VW2020 but I'm using an older version of the Mac OS. Does it happen in all of your files or just a few specific ones? I've found most of my issues with VW2020 have been file specific and happen in files brought forward from older versions....

Kevin

Hi, Kevin,

It seems to happen with editing paths for Extrude Along Path and other similar situations. If something is a simple group, it usually works. It happens in all files. I'm a little puzzled by your comment that this happens in files "...brought forward from older versions." I believe 100% of VW users outside of the group starting with v2020 is bringing in files from other versions. That compatibility should be the number 1 concern of the programmers since is affects every single user in the established user base. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be copying all my VW2018 files and pasting in to blank 2020 files? That would be laborious since the sheets, views, layers, etc. don't transfer....unless I'm missing something. I usually just open the old file and save it as the new version. Is that not the correct way to do it?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

You and a few other people here seem to be having way more problems, and weirder problems than most.

If you could, I would try and install VW on a different computer to eliminate hardware and OS interference and see if you don't have better results. Failing a different computer to try, perhaps creating a different user on the existing computer and run VW from there. Or a burn it to the ground reinstall of the OS and VW.

There is something odd with your setup that is causing you problems that most others are not seeing.  Good Luck.

Pat

Hi Mike,

46 minutes ago, MHBrown said:

I'm a little puzzled by your comment that this happens in files "...brought forward from older versions." I believe 100% of VW users outside of the group starting with v2020 is bringing in files from other versions. That compatibility should be the number 1 concern of the programmers since is affects every single user in the established user base. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be copying all my VW2018 files and pasting in to blank 2020 files? That would be laborious since the sheets, views, layers, etc. don't transfer....unless I'm missing something. I usually just open the old file and save it as the new version. Is that not the correct way to do it?

I completely agree with all of this and this is the same workflow I use. But I know from experience that there are more unexpected issues with files that are brought forward continuously, especially if they pass through a few different versions. Often, cutting and pasting a problematic object into a new clean file and then cutting and pasting it back into the original file can solve the issue.

I've generally found VW2020 to be pretty stable. Did you migrate your preferences and workspace from VW2019? I have migrated workspaces but I've never migrated preferences.

Hopefully someone here can find a way to make things smoother for you.

Kevin

As a rule, I recreate workspaces in the new version. Not because I'm trying to avoid conflicts, but more because I'm not sure what I want in my workspace. I'm always tweaking it, so I tend to want to start over. I pull in some legacy tools, like the data stamp, but I don't do too much modification otherwise.

• Like 1

Your file in the other thread definitely has issues with unwanted ghosting of objects when editing other objects. I'm pretty sure its not related to hardware (it occurs on my iMac Pro and your system is a similarly modern spec). I can get it to sort of reset itself when I cut/paste your object into a new file and toggle Show other objects in editing modes on/off. Its stuck in the existing file however.

Kevin

Thanks, Stephan, the multiple panes solved it for a while, but it came back. I'm trying out an idea. I'm starting with a new 2020 document with no legacy parts from VW2018 or '19. So far, pretty good. The Align tool stopped working when trying to Align to Left with a poly line and an extrusion (while in Front view). Both objects were 3D entities. The control handles have returned, however, and I'm going to try to do an Extrude Along Path with a 3D NURBS curve. That will be a good test. Also, I will see if the 3D Fillet tool is working again. Yesterday it refused to put a fillet on some objects. I'm not having luck with the deform tool, but I think it is common knowledge that these tools are horrible at best, so I can't make any inferences from them.

Thanks for the tips!

Mike

The Fillet tool randomly not working on some edges is more of a problem since I use that a lot when modeling furniture (think of the rounded edges of a Barco lounge chair). I'll try your solution and see if it works on the usually-dependable Align tool. It is very hit-and-miss, however, so I only have observational data. I can't really do a properly designed test.

Thanks,

Mike

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 hours ago, MHBrown said:

The Fillet tool randomly not working on some edges is more of a problem since I use that a lot when modeling furniture (think of the rounded edges of a Barco lounge chair)

I suspect (forgive me if I am wrong!) that you are lumping together several issues. If the Fillet Tool fails, it is usually because some of the conditions it is meant to work on are not right (edges tapering into nothing or meeting at impossible angles). It can be frustrating but it is explainable. The title of this thread is still about objects not hiding and I know that there are issues there. I know they are being worked on as I have files bugs. However, these issues are very unlikely to be related to the fillet tool not working.