Creating a skylight schedule/ data tags.

jtempleton

I have skylights inserted into roof objects. I'm trying to determine the best way to collate them in a schedule, as the window and door schedule worksheet "create report" feature  does. After looking at the data tag tool, it seems I'm not able to link tags to this type of object. Further, I'm not able to assign any sort of letter value using a number tag, and I'm not able to use the tag style for windows or doors, guessing because I'm not actually tagging that type of object. (I can place a window or door tag on a skylight, but I am not able to see or edit the text of the tag, and a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appears in the tag).  Would be great to have a way to automate this process more, but I am finding zero ways to automate, link, make it easier specifically for skylights. Any tips appreciated. 

In watching the video about data tags put out by Vectorworks ( I believe in September of 2018), I'm still a bit confused about how it works, and how to gain greatest functionality from the tool. The video seemed to suggest that the door and window tagging will be going away at some point in the future, so get to know the data tag tool. How do you deal with window and door schedules, and is there a way to break down schedules say by floor or story, and interior vs. exterior door types? Again, any tips appreciated. 

Guest Wes Gardner

@jtempleton, the issue with the skylights is known and a bug has been submitted. You are correct that the Data Tag cannot "see" a skylight embedded in a roof.

The Data Tag for doors and windows will let you tag the objects in Annotation space of your viewports where tagging/notes, etc. really SHOULD be done.

Wes

@Wes Gardner thanks for the reply. 

I understand why annotations should be done in a viewport space. And I always aim to evolve as the technology does. But in terms of windows and doors, can you articulate why using data tags would be a better way to generate a window and door schedule, if that is your position? (vs. using the tags available in the window and door object settings) Do the two features work essentially the same way? I like the tag to show up in both plan and elevation view for my projects- do data tags accommodate that, or would I be placing double data tags to achieve that goal?

Do you have any good idea/ tip/ workaround for compiling a skylight schedule, or is the "old fashioned" way, the best we can do at this time? I did search the forum to see if I could dig up any ideas/ suggestions, but did not come up with anything. 

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate. - julie

Guest Wes Gardner

@jtempleton Hi Julie,  To answer the last part first, unfortunately, the old skool way is best at this time.  To answer the first part of your question, there really is no advantage when creating the actual worksheet/window/door schedule as the data tag is "looking for" the same data as the "built in" tag in either the door or window PIO. The real advantage is being able to tag in Annotation space so that the tags will scale properly when doing things like enlarged kitchen/bathroom/ etc. plans. Yes, data tags can be set up to appear in both plan and elevation.  The door tag, by the way, can auto-increment and re-increment if you leave out or add a door. I do my doors sequentially by number but do my windows by type - i.e. Window A, Window B, etc.  Data tags are also quite useful for tagging spaces rather that using the tag that's built into the Space tool, once again for the same reason of being able to tag in Annotation space.

Wes

• 3 months later...

Wes,

As you said, the old school way is best at this time.  Can you please explain what the old school way is, as the only old school say that I can think of is a 100% manual schedule; I.e. a text box?

Should we not have moved on from this by now?

I also do not agree that data tags should be in viewports - think this a major backward step.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rooflights are a basic building component frequently used on almost every project but still not properly integrated in Vectorworks 2021.

The 3d symbol method is very awkward indeed, rooflights are not recognised as BIM objects and there is no way to include them in window schedules!?

Unlike Revit and Archicad...

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
On 1/2/2020 at 4:44 PM, Wes Gardner said:

To answer the first part of your question, there really is no advantage when creating the actual worksheet/window/door schedule as the data tag is "looking for" the same data as the "built in" tag in either the door or window PIO. The real advantage is being able to tag in Annotation space so that the tags will scale properly when doing things like enlarged kitchen/bathroom/ etc. plans. Yes, data tags can be set up to appear in both plan and elevation. 

@Wes Gardnercircling back to this topic now that I have some time to dedicate to learning / improving. What is the method for "asking" a data tag for a door object to look for the desired door information in order to create a door schedule? I currently have an exterior door schedule, but would like to create an interior door schedule using data tags keyed to each particular size and type of door (vs the exterior door schedule where each door has a  unique entry). It does not appear that I can create two separate door schedules using the create reformatted report command. Any tips for setting up separate interior and exterior door schedules? As best I can tell, I can do one via the create pre formatted report command, and the other would have to be done as a worksheet without linked record data in order to avoid combining two schedules of the same type. Thanks for your consideration. 

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Diego - Resuelvector said:

Yes, I don't usually do that,I clip the roof and add a custom Skylight symbol

Which has the added benefit that you can make it a hybrid symbol + give it a Top component

but you do have to rotate it manually to the roof pitch.

Neither way is ideal... 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...