Symbol Folder Import Problem

I have found what appears to be a bug in importing symbol folders from one file to another and tested it on 2 different computers one running VW 11.5.1 on Mac OS 10.3.9 and the other running 11.0.1 on OS 10 3.8.

Here's the problem:

Launch VectorWorks and create 2 new blank documents. Lets call them "Untitled 1" and "Untitled 2".

In Untitled 2, in the resource Browser, create 3 new symbol folders. Keep the default names, "Symbol Folder 1", and "Symbol folder 2", but change the third name to "Symbol Folder 4".

Now, in Untitled 1, create a folder called "Symbol Folder 3".

Next, make Untitled 1 the active window, and in the resource browser, select "Symbol Folder 3" and import it into the active document.

I would hope to find four symbol folders in Untitled 1 named 1, 2, 3, & 4.

What I get instead is symbol folders 2 & 3 and a third blank folder that cannot be renamed or deleted.

Can anyone else replicate this?

Sorry, I meant to say "Make Untitled 2 the active window" and import "Symbol Folder 3" into "Untitled 2", and then look at the contents of "Untitled 2"

Basically, just make a file with folders 1, 2, and 4 in it, and import a folder named 3. It does not work properly.

Hello,

I came across this post because I too have a blank symbol folder in one of our Library files that I can't rename or delete. I have tried exporting the file out to a previous version, nothing seems to enable me to remove this "phanton folder". If I double-click on it, it gives me the "create resource" dialog. When I try to delete it, it gives me the "are you sure you want to delete" but when I say yes, it doesn't go away...

Any advice? I'd really hate to have to re-create the library file. It is a Workgroup Reference with LOTS of linked files.

-

Thanks.

-Jon

[ 08-24-2005, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: IntexExhibits ]

This is exactly the same thing I have got. Interesting that you are on a PC and I am on a Mac.

I guess we are safe from the "its your operating system" response on this one.

Try the simple test I posted with a blank untitled document and see if you get the "phantom" folder in that file too.

This also happened to me on a huge template file that I was trying to update some symbols on. Fortunately, I had a backup of the file, because I found no way to get rid of the blank folder.

I also backwards exported my file with no luck, and I also get the "Create Resource" Dialog when I try to open the blank folder.

The only advice I have is to send your file to BugSubmit, they need to address this one.

Peter,

I was able to replicate the problem by following your steps. I didn't realize that the "phantom folder" overwrote "Symbol Folder 1". I need to make sure that phantom folder didn't overwrite anything in the actual library file.

After further analysis, when I re-created the problem by following your steps I WAS able to delete the folder after re-opening the file. However, I still can't delete the folder even after removing all the workgroup references out of my file.

I'm not exactly sure how the "phantom folder" was created in my file, it was just brought to my attention today. But I will still submit my file to bugsubmit.

Thanks,

-Jon