Newbie question : trouble with stories

freejonah

Question

Hello! I'm just 1 day into my Vectorworks experience. I'm going through this tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2jX4f9ufQ

And my problem is the walls on the 2nd story. I realize that this tutorial has an older version of the software but this should work. I'm attempting to start out making stories for this model, but it will not let me create any height to the walls on the 2nd floor ( or above ). I've followed this tutorial a bunch of times and can't seem to get the wall height to honor the "ceiling height" selection no matter what i do as soon as I associate it with "slab-2". When it's on the first floor, it's fine ( two screen grabs show this ). I believe I set my stories up fine.

I've attached my very simple Vectorworks file to illustrate this problem. Hoping somebody can clear up what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 8.06.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 8.05.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 8.04.38 AM.png

plan2.vwx

3 answers to this question

Guest Wes Gardner

Couple of things going on here.  The wall on the second floor needs to have something on the third floor for the TOP of the wall to bind to.  I just included a “Top of Slab” level and it works just fine. (Screen shot)

However, another issue is in the wall style set-up – you’ve got some components bound to the level called “Ledge”.  You need to create those levels in either your Default Story Levels or you can do it on the fly by Editing a story and including it there.

You may want to download the other tutorial posted here in the Architecture section called “Model Set Up” and have a look at the the Default story levels and how they interface with the actual Story set up in the Organization palette.  Keep in mind, when you’re using a Level bound wall style, you CANNOT use the binding drop-downs in the PIO to establish binding. (Unfortunately, the interface leads you to believe you can, but you can't...trust me...)  You MUST do that through the wall style.

Lemme know if you need further assistance.

Here’s a “corrected” file – it still needs the “Ledge” scenario worked out but I’ll let you do that.

Wes

plan2 v2019.vwx

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.21.30 AM.png