ddt192

Reducing PDF file Size

Hi,

I am having difficulty publishing PDFs with usable file sizes of less than 10mb. 

I use Vectorworks Landmark 2018 and have explored both reducing DPI & downsampling image DPI and trying to reduce the file externally in Adobe Acrobat, however the best I can get is to around 12-15mb.

I create landscape plans (in colour) with a variety of hatches and transparencies, however not overly complex. 

The only thing that seems to work is to rasterise the text, which then gets me down to only 2-3mb, however this is not ideal as I'd prefer to have the text searchable within the PDF. 

Does anyone have any tips or found any easy fixes to this? I have a feeling it's something to do with the plant tags appearing over hatches or potentially the plant transparencies which make the PDF size really blow up, but not sure how to resolve this without impacting on the visual quality of the plans.

• Like 1

I too do landscape work, often very large areas.

Do you have images that are larger than your viewports? Or is is this only images inside symbols - I've never needed that? For VPs vw puts the whole image into the pdf instead of cropping it to the VP - so i tile large images and even put each tile in its own class.

I use very few hatches as VP is inefficient with them and makes huge, slow to view pdfs.

I know its a hassle but sometimes I do stacked\overlayed VPs to reduce complexity of individual VPs.

I almost never reduce DPI and never have to rasterise text