David Poiron

Wall Data Tag Component List

I would like to create a wall data tag that creates a list of the wall's components, either as separate components or as a list of all the components. I can figure out how to do this in a worksheet but not in a data data tag. Has any one out there tried this?

It would be nice to be able to use formulas or run scripts for fields like you can in a worksheet but for data tag text blocks.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, David Poiron said:

I would like to create a wall data tag that creates a list of the wall's components, either as separate components or as a list of all the components. I can figure out how to do this in a worksheet but not in a data data tag. Has any one out there tried this?

It would be nice to be able to use formulas or run scripts for fields like you can in a worksheet but for data tag text blocks.

Yes, that's a great idea or even list the classes would be great!

Currently there is no way to do that using just the Data Tag and its formulas. However, it can be done using the Data Manager:

1. Create a new record in the document with as many text fields as components you want to show.
  2. Open "Tools" -> "Data Manager...".
  3. Find and select "Wall" in the "Objects" list browser.
  4. In the second list browser select the entity you'd like to add your custom pSet to (for example "IfcWallStandardCase").
  5. Open "Add Data Set...".
  6. Find and select the record you created in 1.
  7. Open "Manage Custom Property Sets...".
  8. Check "Use" in front of the record's name.
  9. Close with OK.
  10. Make sure record is selected under "Ifc PSets (Custom)" (I think it's not nessary but I'm not that experienced with the Data Manager).
  11. Close with OK.
  12. Expand the record.
  13. Select one of its fields.
  14. Open "Define Mapping..."
  15. Select "Expert Formula", "Function", "GETCOMPONENTINFO".
  16. Press "Insert into Formula".
  17. Add its arguments: index* and selector**.
  18. Close with OK.
  19. Repeat 13. - 18. for more components.
  20. Close with OK.
  21. There should be a new pSet in the entity selected in 4. and its fields should have the values for the components you wanted.
  22. I'm assuming you know how to work with Data Tags, create a new or edit an existing style and edit its layout.
  23. Define a dynamic text: the source should be the entity from 4., the pSet - the name of the new custom pSet (same as the record), the property - one of the record fields (now a property in the pSet).
  24. This should extract the data from the pSet which was written there by the Data Manager.

*Currently there is a bug and the indexing is -1-based (the first component has an index of -1). This will be fixed in SP3.

**1 - Name, 2 - Function, 3- Class, 4 - Thickness

I've attached an example file.

WallDataTag.vwx

Posted (edited)

I've walked through these instructions, creating my own record format but using the data tag you had in the example file. However, the data tag will now not attach to the wall. Any reason why I cannot attach a tag to the wall object?

WallDataTag2.vwx

Edited by David Poiron

I attaches without problems for me. And it seems you've missed step 4.

I selected the "wall" instead of IfcStandardWallCase". It works now! Thanks so much for taking the time to sort this out with me. Your step by step instructions were excellent!

Edited by David Poiron
  • Like 1

Since getting the walls to work I've been trying to replicate this for slabs and roof faces, without success. Any hints here would be appreciated. Also, when I try to attach a tag to a slab in this circumstance Vectorworks freezes.

WallDataTag3.vwx