Best VW to vision workflow

Im trying to find a seamless, efficient and reliable workflow between VW & Vision - and havent been able to crack it thus far. Having said that - Ive only just started using Vision - thanks to this becoming available in service select.

The reason I work across Win & OSX is that I work in Win PCs at work and a Macbook at home.

What I have tried....

VW2020 (Win 10) ->Vision 2020 (Win 10):

Using Send To Vsion command. The only combo that has allowed me to successfully export to Vision. However, Im having serious issues with Schematic Views (which seem to be shared by others) as I do a lot of vertical LX positions and I cant seem to easily show my vertical positions in a simple 2D view with lighting labels. Im having to create 3D labels and show vertical trusses & booms in a 3D view to show the required info - too time consuming. I could export my VW2020 file back to VW2019 (for LX plots) but then I would need to rebuild my vertical positions.

VW2019 (OSX 10.14) -> Vision 2020 (OSX 10.14):

I prefer to work in 2019 as I can use Plot & Model View - not perfect by any stretch but at least I can show both 3D views and LX plots the way I want to. I can do this quickly. I cant use the Send To Vision command and VW cant find Vision 2020. When I try to export to MVR and open this in Vision,  the Fixture Mode & Patch info isnt transferring. Do I need to separately values into the GTDF Fixture Mode Window for this to work? The help file mentions having to build GDTF files but VW already knows the fixture mode. Do I need to go to the trouble of building GDTF file via the GDTF website to get this to work?

VW2019 (OSX 10.14) -> VW2020 (OSX 10.14) -> Vision 2020 (OSX 10.14):

The idea here is that I do most things in VW2019, which means that I can do everything I need in VW, then open in VW2020 to tweak and export to Vision 2020. Everything (Fixture Mode & Patch) seems to export fine to Vision, but Vision crashes when I select a light fixture - every time. It does this after using both Send To Vision & Export To MVR commands. Ive attached the VW 2020 & v3s file for anyone who cares to try it.

I would appreciate any wisdom here - cheers in advance.

Vision Test File.vwx Vision Test File.v3s

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'm not sure I can help much with the VW side of things with plot and model views and what not. Maybe @klinzey or @BrandonSPP can chime in.

But as far as your last point was concerned, I wanted to make sure the crash wasn't something I could reproduce and fix. Unfortunately, I could not reproduce this issue.

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 3.23.59 PM.png

My concern is your forum signature 😧 Looks like you have an nvidia card which is not compatible with the Mac Operating System on Vision 2019+. The hardware is okay; if you have bootcamp installed and boot windows on the same machine the nvidia card will work fine. See the tech bulletin below:

Guest Beckstorm

@symo  Vision will not work with Plot and Model view, why we are moving to improve schematic views, and you don't need a GDTF mode but you will need a Fixture mode.  Hope that helps 

10 hours ago, bbudzon said:

My concern is your forum signature 😧 Looks like you have an nvidia card which is not compatible with the Mac Operating System on Vision 2019+. The hardware is okay; if you have bootcamp installed and boot windows on the same machine the nvidia card will work fine. See the tech bulletin below:

Many thanks @bbudzon & @BrandonSPP for coming back to me. 

Yes - I actually found that nvidia post and concluded that this was the reason my MBP wasnt allowing Vision to work. In the end - I installed Vision on an Asus laptop and it worked fine.

So its looking like a VW2020 and Vision 2020 workflow for me. The only remaining issue for me is not being able to display vertical LX positions in a 2D layout - like I normally would - with the usual 2D labels. Once I find a solution for this (rather than having to show my verts in 3D with 3D labels) - I will be sorted!