Loci are rendering and visible in PDF output?

Kevin McAllister

Question

Hello,

I've been having some issues recently where loci are actually rendering and appearing in PDF files. Loci have always been screen only in the past and I'm wondering what has changed. Its happening in a couple of existing files that were brought forward into VW2020. I haven't been able to duplicate the issue in a clean file started in VW2020.

Here's a couple of examples -

This is from a PDF of a perspective sheet layer viewport with foreground Hidden Line and background OpenGL rendering.

1570978991_ScreenShot2019-12-20at11_08_57AM.thumb.png.c39d30dbbdcdd11bb1534328db44e240.png

And this is from a PDF of a top view sheet layer viewport with foreground Hidden Line and background OpenGL rendering.

975388908_ScreenShot2019-12-20at11_09_14AM.thumb.png.5b9a159d424d6d51c9b038ffd43d2ac1.png

Really, loci shouldn't be appearing in output at all.

@Matt Panzer have you seen this before?

Thanks,

Kevin

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
53 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Hello,

I've been having some issues recently where loci are actually rendering and appearing in PDF files. Loci have always been screen only in the past and I'm wondering what has changed. Its happening in a couple of existing files that were brought forward into VW2020. I haven't been able to duplicate the issue in a clean file started in VW2020.

Here's a couple of examples -

This is from a PDF of a perspective sheet layer viewport with foreground Hidden Line and background OpenGL rendering.

1570978991_ScreenShot2019-12-20at11_08_57AM.thumb.png.c39d30dbbdcdd11bb1534328db44e240.png

And this is from a PDF of a top view sheet layer viewport with foreground Hidden Line and background OpenGL rendering.

975388908_ScreenShot2019-12-20at11_09_14AM.thumb.png.5b9a159d424d6d51c9b038ffd43d2ac1.png

Really, loci shouldn't be appearing in output at all.

@Matt Panzer have you seen this before?

Thanks,

Kevin

I have not seen this before.

Can you attach (or send me) a simple file showing the issue?

8 minutes ago, Art V said:

Are you printing or exporting the PDF's? Is there a difference between the two? e.g. they don't show when printed but do when exported, the help refers to printing but does not explicitly say if a locus does/doesn't show when exporting.

I'm using the Publish command to generate the PDFs but I suspect that any method will contain them since they are baked into the rendering image.

Kevin

ok, this is a bit weird after doing the same test with wireframe render:

When setting the render to wireframe background render with hidden line foreground render (for testing the loci issue as described above) I get this:

image.thumb.png.b0d2871a59d6027cf17cb6c569588db4.png

Whereas OpenGL background render with hidden line foreground render gives this:

image.thumb.png.dc2edf9af213d8b6d0cf0ddffe2f95b6.png

The latter one is what it should be, despite the 3D loci set to always display they don't show up while in the first one the 3D loci do show up even though they shouldn't.

The wireframe render is showing an additional distorted view of the same thing, which is something that definitely shouldn't happen.

VWX file is attached.

It looks like there is some render bug in VW2020 after all, unless I am missing something (i.e. the wireframe showing the loci is what should happen after all).

Untitled1.vwx

Edited by Art V