VW Crashes everytime I touch the menu

Ethan, it would be good if you would post some basic info about what type of computer you are using, how much RAM, what operating system, what version of VectorWorks, etc. Also, when you say that VW's disappears, do you mean it crashes, or that it literally just vanishes? When it does, do you get an alert? All of this might help to get to the root of your problem :-)

Funny you should write this as I just got on to say the same thing. Menu bar crashed VW and so does using Ctrl 'O' to try and open. This isn't the first time this has happened to me. Did the un and re thing and all works so far. Can VW do anything about the re-install procedure? You have to go all the way back to VW11 before you can use the updates. Going up to 11.5.1 is real chore. There surely must be an easier way.

Interestly enough, when I went to uninstall I could not get rid of the old 11.5.1 that was causing the problem. The Add/Remove Programs said it was gone but I went to program files, there it was, still there. I had to load the re-install into a new folder. Point is that whatever is causing the old load to crash is still in the system waiting ti rear its head again.

Has anyone else using WinXP experienced any of the above problems??

Tom in PA......again

WinXP 11.5.1

This is appears to be an OS issue not a VW executable issue. VW is making legitimate C++ calls to the API directory which the OS is then perceiving as an attack and the result is a quit/kernel panic. There is the possiblity that VW does not have the necessary permissions to access the dynamic library structure. Basically this means that the VW install is not the issue. No matter how many times you re-install the OS will not recognize it as an executable. Do you have anti-virus installed ? Did you disable it during installation of VW? When was the last time you pre-binded your directories?

Hmm

don't know what "pre-binded your directories" means ..

I'm on a winxp pro

3 mb ram

AMD FX-51 64 bit processor

problem as described by the other post exactly ..

Did not diable norton for the install .. think that could be it?

Also when un-installing, I have to do it from CleanSweep ..the uninstaller either does not work, or does not do a complete job.

How do I pre-bind my directories? And what is that?

Thanks

E

Before installing the VW application & associated directories, it is essentiall to quit all running programs and to disable virus protections. Then run system checks on your OS directories and file structure. The VW installer will then put the files in exactly the right places for the OS. After the installer you need to restart and initialize the app via launch which will ask for the SN# and give you a chance to set up the basic preferences before quitting. Then you should re-activate the virus software which will catalog and 'pre-bind' the directory changes.

I would tend to agree with you but I have had VW running flawlessly for months and only then does this issue appear. I would assume if was an OS error it would start to crash as soon as it was launched the first time after install. What would cause it to wait 2 mo. and then crash?? I have not installed or removed any other software during this time. The computer it is installed on is just for VW and nothing else. It does not even have an online connection.

Something just doesn't sound right.

Tom in PA

not sure .. on one time, I was able to get in and do a save as .. it seems to have made me more stable, though not totally ... they are sending me an 11.5 install disk and instructions on how to COMPLETELY wipe VW from my system for a reinstall.

I wonder what would hapeen if you just removed the files from teh workspace folder? Would it generate a new default workspace?

I could email you one to replace the one you have?

It sounds a bit weird to me too .. just telling you what they told me. I'll try anything that works!

We've been having the same issue, but on 3 out of 5 machines. Our office is using Intel Xeon based machines running Win XP Pro. All copies have been working solid for months but two weeks ago one by one, VWks 11.5 crashed/disappeared when the menu was clicked.

Tried uninstalling but was unable to do so. It supposedly got rid of the 11.5.1 patch only and now we can't uninstall through the add/remove programs control panel. Has anyone successfully wiped VectorWorks 11/11.5 off their machines?

Got a VectorWorks 11.5.1 full install disc through our sales rep. Installed the full version over the existing one but it didn't fix the problem.

Deleted our custom workspace through windows explorer, but it didn't fix the problem.

As for virus scan apps, one out of the three is running Norton, the other two are running McAfee.

The problem lies somewhere within the User files/prefs. The crash seems to only happen within one local account on each system. Once logged on as the Administrator of the machine, there is no crash. Same results logging on as a guest - works fine without crashing.

Been scouring the Documents and Settings folder for any Nemetschek or VectorWorks based files or folders to delete, but have not found a one.

Any ideas?

Here are the instructions I got;

Install VW 11.5.1 from the CD mailed to you.

Re-boot and then launch VW 11.5.1.

This should clear up any corrupt workspace issues as well as verify that you have the most up to date version of our software.

Below are the Registry Deletion Instructions.

* INSTRUCTIONS TO DELETE VW 11 REGISTRY ENTRIES *

Press Start and then choose Run.

Type "regedit" and hit enter. This will open the Registry Editor.

Now you're going to navigate through the registry folders on the left side of the Registry Editor to delete the VW 11 preferences files from 3 directories HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_USERS.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Expand My Computer.

Under My Computer expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER expand Software.

Under Software expand Nemetschek.

Under Nemetschek select VectorWorks 11 and press delete.

Choose yes to delete it and it's subkeys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Expand My Computer.

Under My Computer expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE expand Software.

HKEY_USERS

Expand My Computer.

Under My Computer expand HKEY_USERS.

Under HKEY_USERS, there will be 2 folders with the same name, only

one with the post fix "_Classes". (Ex: "S-1-4-64" and

"S-1-4-64_Classes").

Expand the folder with the longest folder name that DOES NOT end

with "_Classes".

Under this folder, expand Software.

*****// END OF INSTRUCTIONS //*****

Just deleted the registries and ran the program.

I haven't been able to do a full uninstall. There are no uninstall options on the installer CD and the ad/remove program control panel keeps coming back with a "can't find install.log" message.

I would like to do an uninstall then a clean install on at least one of the machines, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again.