Migrate info from one field to another in OBJ info

Hello All,

Since VW 2020 has new way to deal with address, I have a VW 2019 file converted from Vw2020.  all fixture address info are in Absolute Address field, I am not able to sync address info to LW using that field.

I am wondering is there a way I can migrate address info from ABSOLUTE ADDRESS field to ADDRESS fiel in VW2019, that way I can sync with LW for paperworks.

Thank you.

Address info in 2019.PNG

Edited by marioqi

Easiest way would be to use a worksheet and copy/paste. Unless @Sam Jones or @JBenghiat already have a script to do it.

Create a new worksheet. Right click in a row header and choose Create Database. Set the criteria to select all of your Lighting Instruments (???). You should get a subrow for each one in the drawing.

In column A click in the database header and set the formula to be the correct Record and Field for the Absolute Address. In column B set the formula to the Record and Field for the field you need for LW.

Select and Copy everything in Column A. Select all of the data rows in Column B and Paste.

That should be all you need.  If you need more help in setting up the worksheet, ask again.

• Like 1

Glad you found a quick and easy answer.  AutoPlot Tools for Spotlight does have a "Copy Field to Field" command.  However,  I haven't been in your shoes, but as I understand it if you Refresh Instruments, Spotlight should update all of the Address fields from the Universal Address Field.  Also, as I understand it from John, all you need to send to LW is the absolute address and LW will update all the Address fields.  John McKernon and Kevin Linzey should weigh in here.

6 hours ago, Sam Jones said:

Glad you found a quick and easy answer.  AutoPlot Tools for Spotlight does have a "Copy Field to Field" command.  However,  I haven't been in your shoes, but as I understand it if you Refresh Instruments, Spotlight should update all of the Address fields from the Universal Address Field.  Also, as I understand it from John, all you need to send to LW is the absolute address and LW will update all the Address fields.  John McKernon and Kevin Linzey should weigh in here.

Thanks. I made it work by using @Pat Stanford method, which is quite easy. 

Couple of things I noticed when I did that:

1.  For some reason, LW does not take either Absolute Address field nor Universe/Address field in my 2019 file. That was part of reason why I have to migrate data from Absolute Address to Address fiels in order to syncing LW.

2. I am not sure if refresh instruments will update Address fields.

3. Odd thing is , in my case, I was not about to delete Absolute Address data, it just won't let me do it. I ended up with not dispalying those fields in my VW2019 file, because those old data could be confusion as I update Address field in the future.

I found this on the Lightwright website.

"The way Vectorworks 2020 handles DMX Addresses is new, there are now separate fields for Absolute Address, Universe, and DMX Address. Like the corresponding Lightwright address fields, they are linked to each other so changing any one of them automatically changes the others.

Unfortunately, Lightwright won't be able to take advantage of these new fields until its 64-bit release, and even then there is a bug in Vectorworks 2020 that prevents it from accurately sending any of these address fields to Lightwright except when you do a "Complete Export on Exit". That bug will be fixed in VW2020 SP2, scheduled for release in November."

7 hours ago, Sam Jones said:

I found this on the Lightwright website.

"The way Vectorworks 2020 handles DMX Addresses is new, there are now separate fields for Absolute Address, Universe, and DMX Address. Like the corresponding Lightwright address fields, they are linked to each other so changing any one of them automatically changes the others.

Unfortunately, Lightwright won't be able to take advantage of these new fields until its 64-bit release, and even then there is a bug in Vectorworks 2020 that prevents it from accurately sending any of these address fields to Lightwright except when you do a "Complete Export on Exit". That bug will be fixed in VW2020 SP2, scheduled for release in November."

Yep. That is correct. That is why I have to save 2020 file as 2019 and prep for paperworks.