VW2018 Mac Crashes on Launch

willclaw

Question

My Vectorworks 2018 copy crashes on launch every time. I have tried reinstalling twice to no avail. I used VW on this same computer maybe 6 months ago with no issues.

Specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB RAM

Intel Iris Graphics 6100

Not using an external display

I attached the Apple problem report w/ problem details and system configuration.

Any ideas? Thanks!

VW2018 Problem Report.rtf

7 answers to this question

If I were you I would create a new user on the computer (System Preferences:Users) and see if VW will launch from there. If it does that means you  have a problem in your user folder.

If you want to run VW from your original user account, I would next remove your Vectorworks Preferences folder and let VW rebuilt it. It is stored in your user library file. From the Finder, hold down the Option key and choose the GO menu and then Library. If you don't see ti toggle the Option key and it will appear and disappear. Navigate to Preferences. Select all of the files that start with net.nemetschek and drag them to the desktop. Try and launch VW. 

If that does not work do the above but instead of the Prefences folder do the same in the Saved Application State folder if you have one.

If these does not work go to the Application Support folder and drag the Vectorworks folder to the desktop and try and restart VW.

Good luck. If these do not work, then please ask again. 

It also helps us to troublshoot if you add a signature for the forum similar to Zoomers with both your computer, operating system and VW version info.Click on your name/avatar in the upper right and then choose settings. 

Vectorworks itself should be slow with Intel Graphics,

but it should run !

Does VW crash itself when starting or only when starting with your File ?

I attach a link to the Minimum Specs :

https://www.vectorworks.net/sysreq?version=2018

And I see that you are using Vision.

The KB article says for Vision :

Vectorworks with Vision requires a dedicated graphics card, preferably released in the past three years.

Was there an update lately with Vision or VW 2018 ?

Did it run well before your crash series ?

6 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

If I were you I would create a new user on the computer (System Preferences:Users) and see if VW will launch from there. If it does that means you  have a problem in your user folder.

This didn't work. I'll try the other steps you mentioned!

3 hours ago, zoomer said:

The KB article says for Vision :

Vectorworks with Vision requires a dedicated graphics card, preferably released in the past three years.

Was there an update lately with Vision or VW 2018 ?

Did it run well before your crash series ?

I uninstalled VW2018 about 6 months ago, but it was working totally fine (albeit slow) at that time with the integrated graphics card. The new installation crashes before getting through the "Loading plugin libraries" window.

Do you think Vision could be the problem?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

If VW does not run in a new user, then there is a bigger problem than VW.

I would seek out some MacOS troubleshooting and start there.  Something along the lines of booting into single user mode and running FSCK and/or repairing permissions. You might also try Disk Utility and see if a Disk Repair helps.

Understood. Thanks again!

Guest Alex Sagatov

@willclaw According to the crash log, you are still on Service Pack 2 for 2018. Please try downloading Service Pack 6 and see if the issue persists.

https://www.vectorworks.net/support/downloads/product-updates?version=2018

If the issue does persist, can you confirm for me which version of Vectorworks you are running (Fundamentals, Architect, Landmark, Spotlight, or Designer)?