Custom Bolt Subtract Solid Issue

Alex M

Question

I'm having trouble making a custom bolt and flange assembly. I made the bolt threads using Model>3D Power Pack>Create Helix Spiral, then put a cylinder in the center of that. Now I'm making the flange and I was hoping to just use Model>Subtract Solids to make threads in the flange that match the threads in the bolt. However, I keep getting this error message:

Vectorworks-Isuue.jpg

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum, @Alex M !

First examine the bolt assembly. Looks like a gap between cylinder and helix. If the helix is not embedded in the cylinder, increase one or the other so they intersect.

Then here are some things to try on a duplicate of your model:

Select the bolt components and Add solid.

If that doesn’t work, Ungroup the helix and try Add again.

if Ungroup doesn’t work try the Convert to Group (Cmd k on a Mac) then Ungroup then Add Solids.

Now try to subtract from the flange. 

No joy? Select the bolt assy and Convert>Generic Solids (you lose the parametrics here , so save the orig and work on a copy)

Try the Subtract again

Once you make the Subtract work, your flange & bolt can be made into Symbol and saved in favorites. 

Or or just post a vwx file here so others can take a shot at it. 

-B

Thanks for the response! I figured out how to do it after posting that. I had done Add Solids on the bolt, the trick was to separate that assembly and do Subtract Solids piece by piece - first the helix, then the shaft of the bolt.

I made some other adjustments to the bolt and flange after that and ran into that error message again. The solution was usually to make sure I did things in the right order. The more I adjusted the piece, the more bugs it seemed to introduce, so I tried to do the complicated adjustments first.

Untitled.jpeg

• Like 1