Fit walls to objects - help

domer1322

I used the command to "fit walls to objects" and the walls properly extend up to the next object (ROOF).  HOWEVER, sometimes I make a mistake, and I want to "un-do" it.  I find that I select the wall, but in the OIP there is no field to correct the extension.  I adjust the 'top bound' to a ceiling or roof, but the wall retains the height it generated after I used "fit walls to objects".  i can manually delete vertexes in the walls, but I still end up with a wall that is not the correct height for the top bound.

So ... how do I "un-do" the "fit walls to objects" command ?  (that is assuming I've made too many changes to use the 'un-do' command.)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
16 hours ago, domer1322 said:

thanks ... but ....   I could not find that command.  I am using VW 2015, so is it possible they might have added that command in a newer version, but it is missing in VW 2015 ?    

- It seems like this was added in VW2016.

16 hours ago, domer1322 said:

Is there another way to do it ?

- Apart from the steps you described above, I do not know of any other way.

It works ... thanks ....  but now I have to show my ignorance.   I opened your file in VW 2015.  A "custom palette" dialog box opened automatically.  I made a wall with many peaks.     Then I double clicked on the custom palette command, and it set all the peaks to the height I entered.  Success.  BUT ... in that file, I found the custom palette under the menu WINDOW>PALETTES>CUSTOM.    I quit, then re-started VW2015.  The command is longer there under the menu "WINDOW".     So .. how do I load this new command into my copy of VW2015 ?  I assume I have to load something into a library, but what ?

Guest Wes Gardner

@domer1322 I think you can open the Resource Manager of the file I sent and it should be there. You can then import the script into a new file.  I have the thing saved in one of my Favorites files so I can always get to it by going to the Resource Manager and selecting the Favorites file and then importing it from there.

Oops, I think back in 2015 we still had the Resource Browser...basically, things will still work the same way if I remember correctly.

Wes

UPDATE:   thanks, but , it doesn't exactly work well.   In a new sample file in VW2015, on a layer without a story, and an "unstyled" wall, I made a simple wall with manually inserted peaks.  Then I ran the script.  The first anomaly is that the suggested wall height is 253 ft high.  Regardless of whether I adjust the 'final' wall height or not, these things occur:

• the peaks go away and the wall is a uniform height (as it should be)
  • the bottom of the wall is no longer at 0 and I have to move it in 3D space in the Z dimension
  • the OIP shows the wall height incorrectly.  For instance, I set the wall height to 8 ft, and I can visually see it is 8 ft high, and the dimension shows it is 8 ft tall, but the OIP shows it with a height of 12 ft.   I enter the correct height in the OIP and it might have several different outcomes:  no affect; shows in correct height; adjusts the bottom and top to different elevations.

I tried to figure out if these anomalies might have something to do with levels and story heights or layer wall heights, and I can not make any such correlation to correct the wall height using the stories/levels.  It appears that once I use the command on a wall, the wall is forever corrupted to show incorrect values in the OIP

Thus ....  this script might still be useful if I get a wall with many peaks to remove, but otherwise, it has too many glitches for me to say it works correctly.  But I do appreciate your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Create an extra design layer with an flat extrusion object above the wall you want to removed the peaks from,  at an elevation you would like the walls.  Select the walls you want to change the peaks on then run the AEC fit walls to objects command and choose fit to objects on the layer you created.   This will remove the peaks from your walls.  

• Like 1

Nice one Tom. I had not tried this in a while. It works much better now. It used to be that it would only fit UP. Now you can set your fit object at the height you want the wall to be and it will fit both Up and Down depending on the peaks at the same time.

And the fit object does not have to be on a different layer unless you have other object(s) on the same layer as the walls that would be fit to instead of your created fit object.

Edited by Pat Stanford
Damn Autocorrect
  • 2 weeks later...