Grass textures applied under ground...

Nico_be

Hello,

In some files, when I apply a grass texture on a polyline, the grass appears under the polyline.  Not all grass texture because some of them are good.

Sometimes, on my PC everything is ok and with the same file on vectorworks Cloud, it send me a pdf file with errors, see image bellow...  On the image we see the "roots" of each grass.

Is somebody have the same problem?

957153859_Annotation2019-12-10120817.thumb.png.34cda40d57473c90a483beebaaa79678.png

Guest Alex Sagatov

Can you confirm which version the screenshot was taken in? I was running into issues with grass rendering in the wrong/unexpected direction in 2020, but this appears to be fixed in 2020 SP2. In my test file, everything is now rendering in the expected way.

It shouldn't be possible to apply a grass texture to a polyline, so I am assuming you have a nurbs surface(?). Reversing the normal should be a possible work around as well.

1 minute ago, Alex Sagatov said:

Can you confirm which version the screenshot was taken in? I was running into issues with grass rendering in the wrong/unexpected direction in 2020, but this appears to be fixed in 2020 SP2. In my test file, everything is now rendering in the expected way.

It shouldn't be possible to apply a grass texture to a polyline, so I am assuming you have a nurbs surface(?). Reversing the normal should be a possible work around as well.

The latest in French : 2020 SP1.1.  The proble appears for the first time I Think in 2018
Yes, sorry, i have 3Dpoly 🙂  .  I've tried to reverse the normal without success....

Guest Alex Sagatov

Can you send me a copy of the file? You can private message it over to me. You can also remove most of the geometry. As long as the geometry with the grass texture is there, and I have some reference point as to which way its supposed to be rendering.

33 minutes ago, Alex Sagatov said:

Can you send me a copy of the file? You can private message it over to me. You can also remove most of the geometry. As long as the geometry with the grass texture is there, and I have some reference point as to which way its supposed to be rendering.

I've send you a private message 😉

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 7:05 AM, Nico_be said:

Hello,

In some files, when I apply a grass texture on a polyline, the grass appears under the polyline.  Not all grass texture because some of them are good.

Sometimes, on my PC everything is ok and with the same file on vectorworks Cloud, it send me a pdf file with errors, see image bellow...  On the image we see the "roots" of each grass.

Is somebody have the same problem?

957153859_Annotation2019-12-10120817.thumb.png.34cda40d57473c90a483beebaaa79678.png

OTG, I am not alone.  I thought I was seeing things at one point. 

Is there anyway to change the normal on a 3D polygon?  I've been getting random results when using the grass shader.  I'll have some 3D polygons that produce the results you'd expect and I'll have some in the same drawing that don't or rather the grass is shown down rather than up.

11 minutes ago, Markvl said:

Is there anyway to change the normal on a 3D polygon?  I've been getting random results when using the grass shader.  I'll have some 3D polygons that produce the results you'd expect and I'll have some in the same drawing that don't or rather the grass is shown down rather than up.

With 3D polygons, there is no way of adjusting the normals besides flipping them manually.  The best option is going to be creating NURBS surfaces in these areas so you can have direct control over the normals direction.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, skeyshubber said:

I am having the same issue.  I'm not working with a site model but simply applying textures to shape objects so I'm not sure how to change the mesh smoothing preference.  

If you work with a 3D polygon, you only need to reverse the direction of the polygon on the OIP .

I've created a work around with a 3D poly and texture applied to that.  Since then, I haven't experienced the issue again.  

@Nico_be Mesh smoothing is now unchecked and I will test my landscape area.  The landscape area I'm working on is a planting bed  not relative to the site model in any way other than it just sits on top of it.  Does mesh smoothing affect landscape areas aside from the site model?

thanks for all the help with this!  

15 minutes ago, skeyshubber said:

@Nico_be I have unchecked Mesh Smoothing and my landscape area is still rendering grass upside down.

@Altivec My object is a Landscape Area.  And I've created a work around with a 3D poly and texture applied to that.  Since then, I haven't experienced the issue again.   

Could you send me a new file with this landcape area paste into it?  I'll take a look.