drape paving over a DTM ideas for Twinmotion output?

jnr

Not sure how to do this. I'm working towards exporting a model to TwinMotion to render but need to have roadways in the Vectorworks model so I have a guide to map textures to.  

So far: 

Have a DTM created of a site with a building dropped in a design viewport. The DTM was built with final contours of the site, so the grades are done.

Have a 2d polygon of the paved areas (roadways and parking). I've tried sending the poly to surface, but it goes wacko following the nuances of the contours.

Have tried creating objects from shapes but so far: roadway custom curb, hardscape, and texture bed will not map to the surface.

What am I missing with this? I have no interest in rebuilding all the paving with a collection of roadway parts that end up screwing with contours and cannot be manipulated in width and height. Should I build a NURBS surface (loft) then try to send to surface with the DTM?  Not the first time I've come across this issue. All I need is some sort of  surface on the DTM that I can quickly render in TwinMotion. 

• Like 1

I've had some success using the 'spoil pile' site modifier to create kerb lines - you can draw as polygon in plan, and it'll offset the surface of the DTM by whatever height you specify. I've done it using it to offset pavement (ie sidewalk if you're in the US) areas upwards but you could potentially use it to offset roadway areas downwards instead.

I've experienced some bugs using it in VW2018 but it's just about usable.

Hi @jnr

if you have a 2d poly of the paved area you can rightclick and "Creat objects from shape" then select site modifier. Chose then texture bed and its  important to choose a class in "Texture from class". You need a class that is set up with texture. 

When all is done you have to refresh the site model and your texture will show up on your DTM.  Keep in mind you can choose if this texture applies to proposed or existing.

Its not so important what texture you use, its easy to change later in TM as long as it is unique 

• Like 2

LW + Hans:

Thanks for your input.  Ran with the texture bed. (spoil pile doesn't follow grades?) I went back to try and "smooth" (simplify 3D polys) the bed since it still looks like a drunk guy poured the paving with a serrated knife. Didn't really help much. Also the 2D polygon is built from two polygons subtracted to create a ring road (call it a doughnut). Objects from shapes/site modifier /either texture bed or spoils doesn't interpret the subtraction (think doughnut without the hole).  I had to hack in half (two beds) for it to work.  What would be nice is to be able to create a site modifier from say a texture bed so that the surface mapped to the DTM could modify/plow out a smooth roadway/parking without having to build it from component shapes (Tee's, custom curbs, curb roadways etc). Alternatively a texture bed with depth would be nice.  I was able to export to Twinmotion and fumble thru it in the end.

-J