Set Line Thickness menu Item.

pksander

Question

I'm looking for a way to quickly change the line thickness of selected objects. I'd like to be able to hit a hot key, have a window open that I could type a number into and hit enter and change the line thickness. This is possible with 'Set Size...' for text, but I can't find a way to do it for objects.  Maybe It's obvious, and already possible, and I'm simply missing something?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

11 answers to this question

I don't need more than the 10 different line weights. (I probably only use five at most regularly.) What I'm looking for is a quicker way to change line thicknesses. Mousing away from the part of the screen I'm working on to open the palette and accurately select the right line thickness and then moving the cursor back to continue working is much slower than hitting a hot key combination and entering a number. 

Another option might be if there was a way to control click on an object and get the various attribute changing options. 

It's a slowness in my work flow that I've noticed over the years that I'm curious if there is away to overcome. 

• Like 1

I'm jumping between about five of the preset values. The ability to control click to jump one preset up or down would be helpful.

The window/tool/functionality I'm looking for is already coded as part of the software. I'm just looking for a way to get access to it via a keyboard shortcut.

Untitled.png

OK, try this.

Copy the script below.

Go to Tools:PlugIns:PlugIn Manager

Click the New button and choose Command. Set the name to Set Line Weight and click OK.

Click the Edit Script button and paste the script into the Script Editor window. Click OK. Click Close.

Go to Tools:Workspaces:Edit Current Workspace.

Pick the Menus option at the top center of the dialog box.

Select Miscellaneous in the left column and drag that to one of the menus (where you want the command to live, create a new menu if you want). Enter a keyboard shortcut for the command. Click OK.

Run the command by entering the keyboard shortcut you entered.

Procedure PS_SetLineWeight;

{December 2, 2019}
{©2019 Patrick Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}

{Opens a dialog box asking for a line weight and then sets all visible selected objects to that line weight}
{Line weight is entered in integer points.}
{Use at your own risk. No warranty expressed of implied.}
{There be Dragons.}

Var		N1:Integer;
		H1:Handle;

Procedure Execute(Hand1:Handle);
	Begin
		SetLW(Hand1,N1);
	End;

Begin
	N1:=IntDialog('Enter Desired Line Weight', '20');
	ForEachObject(Execute,VSEL);
End;

Run(PS_SetLineWeight);

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

How many dash styles do you usually use/need? Do you want to define them? Or just show all of the styles in the document?

Not sure if you're asking me or Pksander. 

I typically use three or four. A couple even dashes and a section dash. Its not about how many its about the number of steps. However many versions back you could just click on line type and select from the drop down like you still can with weight. We got more line variety c14(?) but now we need to Click on pen style, select Line type, then select the line type drop down menu and then find your line or if a new document import the line type. So 4 or 5 steps when it used to be 1. 

On 12/2/2019 at 3:32 PM, Pat Stanford said:

OK, try this.

Copy the script below.

Go to Tools:PlugIns:PlugIn Manager

Click the New button and choose Command. Set the name to Set Line Weight and click OK.

Click the Edit Script button and paste the script into the Script Editor window. Click OK. Click Close.

Go to Tools:Workspaces:Edit Current Workspace.

Pick the Menus option at the top center of the dialog box.

Select Miscellaneous in the left column and drag that to one of the menus (where you want the command to live, create a new menu if you want). Enter a keyboard shortcut for the command. Click OK.

Run the command by entering the keyboard shortcut you entered.

Procedure PS_SetLineWeight;

{December 2, 2019}
{©2019 Patrick Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}

{Opens a dialog box asking for a line weight and then sets all visible selected objects to that line weight}
{Line weight is entered in integer points.}
{Use at your own risk. No warranty expressed of implied.}
{There be Dragons.}

Var		N1:Integer;
		H1:Handle;

Procedure Execute(Hand1:Handle);
	Begin
		SetLW(Hand1,N1);
	End;

Begin
	N1:=IntDialog('Enter Desired Line Weight', '20');
	ForEachObject(Execute,VSEL);
End;

Run(PS_SetLineWeight);

This is just the thing. Thank you so much.