Project Sharing vs Title Block Border tug of war

Christiaan

Question

I've attempted to add revision notes to a set of sheets**. Sheets 090 through to 095. And yet I get the message below blocking me from making these changes because my colleague has Title Block Borders on sheets 800 and 801 checked out. 

1. Is there anything I can do to our Title Block Border template to minimise this?

2. Whatever is happening behind the scenes Title Block Borders need to behave differently (see steps below). 

724282828_Screenshot2019-11-29at09_54_14.thumb.png.5bbf3499aaad0613ec763851c002e2f6.png

** It's important to note that in attempting to add the revisions I went through the following steps:

1. Opened the Title Block Manager

2. Clicked on Select Sheets to Use...

3. Selected the sheets I want use

4. Clicked on Revision Data

5. Selected the sheets I want to add a revision to

6. Carefully wrote my revision note + all the meta data

7. Clicked on OK

8. Receive message blocking me from making changes because colleague has unrelated Title Block Borders checked out

9. Ask colleague to do a save and commit

10. Wait for colleague to do save and commit and then for it to sync with Dropbox

11. Get interrupted by another colleague and discuss some other matters

12. Come back to machine and do a Refresh

13. Repeat steps 1-7

14. Receive message blocking me again because colleague has checked out Title Block Borders while I was doing step 11

15. Repeat step 9

16. Refresh file

17. Repeat steps 1-7

Edited by Christiaan

10 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Christiaan,

As of now, the TBManager has to check out every file in the edited document, as it uses the actual records to display the data and they have to be modified to be restored to their up-to-date state. This is causing all objects having these records to be checked out - all TBBs.

We will see if it is possible to optimize this and make it work better with PS. Anyway, for now the only solution is to add the revisions one by one using the TBB Settings dialog.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mouseman85 said:

Has this issue been resolved?

im working on a file at the moment and we are getting locked out title blocks all the time it’s causing big problems when trying to create new sheet layers 

Hello @mouseman85,

The TBB is still requiring all TBBs to be checked out when using the Title Block Manager. However, I do not think that this should affect creating of new empty layers. Could you send me a test file or tell me the steps to reproduce what you are experiencing?

Thanks,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

On 2/19/2021 at 10:01 PM, LauraCB said:

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

Just wondering if there is a way to work more efficiently with title blocks in Project Sharing now a bit of time has passed since the thread above? We can create new sheets ok but still not able to add multiple revisions or duplicate sheets if others are also in different sheets in the file

Thanks

Laura

Hello @LauraCB,

As of VW 2021 it should be possible to make object specific changes to multiple TBBs using the TBManager and have only the modified TBBs checked out. For example, if you would like to add new revision to sheets 1 and 3 and you have sheets 1 to 4, open the TBManager, click on Select Sheets to Use and select only sheets 1 and 3, then add the revisions you would like to add and click OK. After this, only the TBBs on sheets 1 and 3 will be checked out.

Let me know if this covers your expectations.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
On 9/27/2022 at 9:10 PM, Christiaan said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkovhas there been any progress on this?

As mentioned here

On 2/22/2021 at 10:35 AM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @LauraCB,

As of VW 2021 it should be possible to make object specific changes to multiple TBBs using the TBManager and have only the modified TBBs checked out. For example, if you would like to add new revision to sheets 1 and 3 and you have sheets 1 to 4, open the TBManager, click on Select Sheets to Use and select only sheets 1 and 3, then add the revisions you would like to add and click OK. After this, only the TBBs on sheets 1 and 3 will be checked out.

Let me know if this covers your expectations.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Object specific changes now do not require all TBBs to be checked out when using the TBManager. Also, we have added the "This Title Block is Active" state in the TBManager and TBB Tool preferences as well, so if you would want creating of new TBBs not to check out existing ones, you can work with TBBs that are not active. If you duplicate inactive TBB this will also not checkout other TBBs in the file.

Document wide changes, such as project data or issue data, will still checkout all TBBs as they are still modifying all TBBs as it is expected for document wide data.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov