Hardware Requirements Vectorworks 2019 / Rendering taking too long

Michael Amann

Question

I have a very specific issue in that I have a user in my company that is complaining that Vectorworks is taking (too) long to render images.

I know the hardware requirements are listed here:

https://www.vectorworks.net/sysreq?version=2019

Shes currently running a rig with the following configuration:

Lenovo ThinkStation S30

Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70 GHz

32 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K2000 (2 GB)

Samsung SSD 500 GB

The hardware should be more than sufficient to run the application but changes to a 'Application not responding' when she starts to render something that should only take a few seconds. Again, his opinion. I am having a hard time to determine how long it SHOULD take to render something thus I can't figure how to resolve this dilemma.

All I can see is that Vectorworks is only using parts of the systems power when rendering and sometimes even limiting it to a single core (out of 4) and rarely is the Workstation utilizing more than 50 % of it's power.

Any settings within Vectorworks that I could adjust to increase rendering performance?

1 answer to this question

every render is taking that long?  Or a specific file?  I would think you have some faulty geometry or are way off the origin.  Maybe try rendering something simple first (metallic cube with filleted edges in an HDRI environment on a plane....).  Once you see that the machine can indeed render, start isolating everything in the file in question and see what is causing the problem.