SECTION CUT PLANE FILL INCONSISTENCY

drelARCH

Question

I am aiming to present vertical/horizontal sections through building in a simple and clean way. Ideally I want to have merged all cross sections into solid fills. (using Advanced Properties)

As you can see now it is one big mess! Only the regular Section viewport with orthogonal and oblique view (never mind dormer details - not fully finished yet) is working fine. Perspective view loses most of fills (walls/slab/roof...) while in horizontal section VP windows/doors openings are not always recognised and cut out...Section fill through the stair is all over the place!

Is there some deadline from vectorworks that this inconsistency will be fixed and cleaned out and that I as a user can count on with this software functionality?

While I see lot of progress and effort in 3D area of software ( I definitely acknowledge that) but there is still LOT LOT of places that needs to be FIXED. And if something is not fully working it would be fair to give us some notice and warning...

Intentionally I wanted to use 3d features on very simple house and go from there to much larger ones...

I HOPE that this software one day will work greatly without hitting new small/big issues every single day and without hours of investigating what is going on wrong. HOPE this will be very very soon.

Come on Vectorworks, I dont have my working time for writing post and searching forums, I need HIGH quality tool that is capable of simplifying my work and at the same time save me my dear time.

ObliqueCabinet45.png

Orthogonal.png

PerspectiveNarrow.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-11-25 o 21.56.55.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-11-25 o 21.58.10.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-11-25 o 21.58.54.png

Edited by drelARCH

10 answers to this question

@drelARCH all I can do is offer my sympathy, I am still using 2018 and fighting various dysfunctions in sectioning. Just the other week I quite literally lost a whole day trying to get it to section a site model properly. Disappointing to see that it's still a thing in 2020 and for me another reason not to spend the money upgrading.

The ability to draw an accurate and clean section is completely fundamental to architectural drafting, and it's something the software should be getting right all of the time.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, line-weight said:

The ability to draw an accurate and clean section is completely fundamental to architectural drafting, and it's something the software should be getting right all of the time.

You are absolutely right.

I have to say though VW2020 is much faster (compare to 2019) and I see lot of progress and hope there(I will write more later). I really like it but as you say these things are really fundamental to our work..these are not some extra features to do exceptional things THESE ARE BASIC BASIC things....

I just cant understand that something that was working OK in version 2019 is not in vw2020 SP2. (I mean specifically surface hatch[introduced years ago] mirroring issue and section cut plane fills in this case).

It so frustrating that there is not many days that I can say that sort of I forget that there is some software that I use and that I really focus only on my work tasks and is work is progressing smoothly.

Edited by drelARCH
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 11/27/2019 at 4:44 AM, drelARCH said:

I just cant understand that something that was working OK in version 2019 is not in vw2020 SP2. (I mean specifically surface hatch[introduced years ago] mirroring issue and section cut plane fills in this case).

The surface hatch issue was due to changes made to improve performance in rendering surface hatches. Unfortunately, the problem was not caught in time.

As for other section viewport issues: Vectorworks 2019 introduced MAJOR changes in the sectioning code for the new section features and the new 2D component features. This is the cause. This is not an excuse but simply the reason these problems happened.

If you're willing to send me these files, I'd love to test our fix with them. While the fix specifically has to do with surface hatches, I can also take a look at your section fill problems.

Hi @drelARCH,

I received you files and tested them against the surface hatch fix.  Everything looks to be working as expected and we should see an update with the fix soon.

As for the other issues:

The section viewport fill problem has to do with section viewports set to a non-orthogonal projection. For those viewports, you can work around the issue by:

1. Make a duplicate of the section viewport
  2. Set the Projection of the viewport to "orthogonal"
  3. Deselect "Display Extents beyond Cut Plane"
  4. Update the viewport and align it with the original section viewport.

The horizontal section viewport issue is a different problem and stems from a conflict between the new 2d cut components of PIOs and Symbols and how the sectioning code interprets them.  What's happening is the viewport sees the entire cut component as a cut object and applies the section class attributes to everything within the component. Until we implement a better solution for this, the best way to deal with this is to either deselect "Display 2D Components" for the viewport, or set the Advanced properties to "Separate Cross Sections" and "Use Attributes of Original Objects".  If going with the latter, you may be able to effectively "merge" the wall components by doing the following:

1. In Advanced Properties:
    • Select "Merge objects with same fill"
    • Select "Add Profile Line" and select a class to use for the profile line attributes
  2. Using class overrides to give all component classes the same fill and a zero line thickness

• Like 1

Hi @Matt Panzeris there a timeline when we might expect fix for this section fill issue?

I mean, I would really like to know if issue is going to be fix in matter of days, weeks...even months??? We really need that information.

I know, we have your workaround of setting viewports stacks but it is far from favourable as I have many many viewports of ongoing project effected and I am about to create new one for new projects...but not willing to create many many new viewport stacks that at the end will require fix to

Regarding late surface hatch fix (is fixed now in SP 2.1) it was supposed to be out soon, very soon but at the end it took at least month to have fix in reality. I do really need to know where I am at and what decision to take as I mentioned above I am about to set up many new viewports...

THIS IS VERY FUNDAMENTAL TO WORKING WITH 3D/BIM AND CORRECT PRESENTATION OF THE RESULT AND THIS MUST BE OF HIGHEST PRIORITY!

Thanks.

9 hours ago, drelARCH said:

Hi @Matt Panzeris there a timeline when we might expect fix for this section fill issue?

I mean, I would really like to know if issue is going to be fix in matter of days, weeks...even months??? We really need that information.

I know, we have your workaround of setting viewports stacks but it is far from favourable as I have many many viewports of ongoing project effected and I am about to create new one for new projects...but not willing to create many many new viewport stacks that at the end will require fix to

Regarding late surface hatch fix (is fixed now in SP 2.1) it was supposed to be out soon, very soon but at the end it took at least month to have fix in reality. I do really need to know where I am at and what decision to take as I mentioned above I am about to set up many new viewports...

THIS IS VERY FUNDAMENTAL TO WORKING WITH 3D/BIM AND CORRECT PRESENTATION OF THE RESULT AND THIS MUST BE OF HIGHEST PRIORITY!

All I can tell you is that is is a high priority bug. I cannot provide time estimates on bug fixes (with possible exceptions when I'm absolutely sure there is already a fix in place).

Best,

Matt

12 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

All I can tell you is that is is a high priority bug. I cannot provide time estimates on bug fixes (with possible exceptions when I'm absolutely sure there is already a fix in place).

Best,

Matt

Thanks for honest answer.

Hopefully it can go out very soon.