11.51 still seems slower than 11.01

• Administrator

quote:

Originally posted by APE Design Ctr:

I just tried the update to 11.51. I have skipped the 11.5 update since i had endless problems with it, and went back to use 11.01.

Seems like the issues I was experiencing are solved, but ohhh man this program is slow in OpenGL, and rendering compared to 11.01.!

Is it just me?

Can you send me a file which demonstrates this?

Do you have any numbers describing the slowdown? We'd love to hear more.

Thanks,

Paul Pharr

CTO

Nemetschek North America

pharr@nemetschek.net

APE ... the transition from 11.01>11.5 requires the replacement of many of the plug-ins. My experience was similar to yours especially with OpenGL until I was able to identify and replace the offending 'legacy' tools. Result>numerous kernel panics. Now things are humming along ... and I much more aware of PIO & font issues when accessing older files and importing DXF/DMG.

11.5.1 renders faster than 11.5 according to my own test files, but still a lot slower than 11.01 - and before anyone suggests it, yes, I've repaired permissions several times, the only PIO i've used is a call-out and I only use helvetica. My results for my dual2MHz G5 1.5G Ram (in seconds):

HLR, 8 view ports test: VW11.01/11.5/11.5.1 - 15/145/118

Final RW test:VW11.01/11.5/11.5.1 - 10/18/18 (no change!)

Custom RW (Ray trace Level3):VW11.5/11.5.1 - 33/24 (37% faster)

HLR single model test: VW11.5/11.5.1 - 27/18 (50% faster)

So I'm pleased to have the update, but I look forward to further improvements.

David

• Administrator

Hi everyone,

I like to see these numbers posted like this as it gives us something to work with. It looks like from what has been posted here that the slowdown we're talking about is hidden line rendering and final RenderWorks slowing down significantly between 11.0.1 and 11.5.0.

Is this what everyone is talking about?

If DD and APE could send files to my email address below which demonstrate these slowdowns, we will very likely be able to do something about it. Otherwise it may be difficult to make headway on this issue.

When sending files, please use a very descriptive subject line to avoid your mail being confused with SPAM.

Thanks,

pharr@nemetschek.net

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

David,

Here are some test results from the test file you sent us. Hidden line rendering is faster in 11.5.1 than in 11.0.1. Can you give us some steps on how you are getting different results with HLR ?

Results w/OSX(10.4.3) on a Dual 1.8Ghz G5/ 1GB RAM:

HLR test: 11.0.1/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 30 secs

HLR test: 11.5.0/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 20 secs

HLR test: 11.5.1/ 3D conversion res 'Very High' --> 20 secs

the other issue with the Hidden line rendering being slower when the 3D Conversion Resolution is changed from 'Low' to 'Very High' is something we are currently investigating.

Walid Remaili

Quality Assurance

NNA

Pharr, I just emailed you a typical project.

Pls do the test on 'Update all viewports'. This will give the machine and the software some good time to work through the renderings.

I usually render all viewports, then go and do some other things regarding the project in Excel. In 11.01, I am usually just finishing up the Excel stuff, when the viewports complete all their rendering. Now on a typical project I have finished with Excel, and I am waiting around for the renderings to complete. I bet 11.51 is slower by 30%+ in updating viewports in my estimations.

Let me know how you make out...

Thanks