Worksheets wish list

David Poiron

Question

11 answers to this question

I like these.

It would also be a great little feature if it was possible to hide selected columns sim to how the database row can be hidden. This way hidden columns could be used for sorting or summarising as well as controlling input data of other columns on the worksheet.

• Like 2

I REALLY wish:

1. The general appearance, workflow and editing structure was more like Excel/Numbers. i.e. entering formulas, merging and aligning with a single click, font and size options readily available, etc

2. A worksheet is available outside of Vectorworks to be edited via Excel/Numbers. Not all of our staff is competent in VW, and offloading some of the tedious data entry would be great. There would have to be a "Merge Worksheets" command when the VW file is re-opened after the worksheet data is edited. 

Just my $0.02!

Edited by livespace josha

Hi @Boh 

I downloaded the VWX file you posted (thank you) and I tried working with/editing your worksheet and it didn't work well for my purposes.

To clarify:

I've created symbols with records that I populate manually to accommodate different jobs/uses.  I then create a worksheet which compiles all the record data in a client facing format.  Then there are other text boxes on a different layer which use some of this same info and could benefit from a direct link to a cell. 

"Insert Column" inserts a column to the left of the referenced column. I would like to see "Add Column" to add a column to the right of the last column.

At the moment, adding a column after the A - J range would add a new J and rename J to K. Then I will have to copy all the K formulas back to J and clear K.

• Like 1

Following up on the use of data tags - it works but not without faults.  While the tag pulls the info needed, it is also tied physically to the symbol.  When the symbol moves position, so does the data tag.  For my purpose, I need the geometry to exist independently, so either symbol or tag can change position without effecting the other.

I would still like to see a text box with the ability to link directly to a worksheet cell.

There are some settings for positioning of data tags in relation to the object they are attached to but maybe still doesn’t work for you. 

Not ideal but another option is to have a single cell worksheet as your text box?

I realise this is just a work around...

Edited by Boh