6 issues with 3D and 2d Label Legends

Sebastiaan

Question

Hi All,

Since the changes made to label legends in 2019, I am having issues on being able to do want was able to do in 3d Labels before version 2019.

In 2D labels in 2019 there was a big wish of mine granted. For a long time I wished to be able to move all of the fields of a label legend at once. In 2019

we where now able to group the fields and thus move the label at once. However when the fields are grouped this creates some issues that I 

would like to discus in this topic. (by the way issue nr 07 is that in vw2020 sp2 I can not move the grouped label legends in 2d anymore ;-(.....

Below are the issues I've been experiencing. I added the VWX with each issue on a seperate layer and each issue has it's own label legend created in VW 2020sp2

01-3D Legend flips by plan rotation

02-3D Legend leader lines

03-3D Legend assign atribute properties

04-3D Legend 3D label class forced on fields

05-2D Non rotating Grouped rotate

07-2D Grouped Labels do not move anymore

Below are screenshots from the testfile with explanations. VWX Label Issues.vwx

@BSeigel @klinzey

01-3D Legend flips by plan rotation

610833708_ScreenShot2019-11-21at23_04_36.thumb.png.4d7c2d4d22b596891ff4a577ebc509d4.png

02-3D Legend leader lines

1561087048_ScreenShot2019-11-21at23_04_49.thumb.png.648891406e35bed71160daacedd4c17a.png

1244868707_ScreenShot2019-11-21at23_05_02.thumb.png.0788f118a880dcb811baf6cbff6ed72b.png

1944508779_ScreenShot2019-11-21at23_06_10.thumb.png.17b10c7ac7b0298b37d4e94224c9f38d.png

06-2D label container shifts-2

313412316_ScreenShot2019-11-21at23_06_22.thumb.png.9a4f92c1e7230395ef519fc290a69a2b.png

07-2D Grouped Labels do not move anymore

672765192_ScreenShot2019-11-21at22_45_47.thumb.png.f2031c6b9432263eabe340130d198fae.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 23.06.43.png

11 answers to this question

Guest Yordan Kostadinov

Hi @Sebastiaan,

Thanks for the detailed information provided on these problems. I'll try to answer all of them:

01-3D Legend flips by plan rotation: I'm able to reproduce this problem in VW2019, this behavior is not affected by the Rotate 3D Legend with Z Rotation field. I confirm this is an issue, I created a bug report for this.

02-3D Legend leader lines: I'm able to reproduce this problem in VW2019, I created a bug report for this.

03-3D Legend assign attribute properties: For VW2019 the 3D Legend Use 2D Containers option was replaced with the 3D Layout. The Ligting-Label-3D class is not created anymore in VW2020 SP2, the 3D layout is created and controlled in the same way as the 2D layout.

You can use the Eyedropper tool to pick and apply Label Positions for the 2D layout. This will be extended to the 3D layout as well.

04-3D Legend 3D label class forced on field: fixed for VW2020 SP2.

05-2D Non rotating Grouped rotate and 06-2D label container shifts: I'm able to reproduce this problem in VW2019, I created bug reports.

07-2D Grouped Labels do not move anymore: The problem is with Text objects that are not labels and are outside a group - in your case they are in the 3D layout. The workaround is to select these text objects and Send To Front. The control point will appear correctly and you'll be able to move it. I created a bug report for this also.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi @Yordan Kostadinov

Thank you for the bug listing and clear answers.

I have a few more questions / remarks:

Regarding issue 01:

I noticed that in vw2020 sp2 the 2D label also gets messed up by the custom plan rotation. This is new to the issue in 2020. in 2019 only the 3D label was affected. see screenshot below.

550437284_ScreenShot2019-11-22at21_29_29.thumb.png.df02da80eb39dfbc9e37c59174f7a91f.png

Regearding issue 03 / 04. Great that the 3D label class is not created anymore. But when I tried the single label 3D label, all of the fields got the same class attributes as the channel field class. In this case white fill and blue pen color. I guess this is an issue too? Can the individual fields in the single label each listen to their class attributes?

Great if the eyedropper tool will work on the 3D label position even better than the assign properties! But at the moment we don't have either and making a layout for all the 3D labels in a big drawing is times consuming. Can we expect this function for sp3? Or sp2.1?

Guest Yordan Kostadinov

Hi @Sebastiaan,

The Custom Plan Rotation field is the replacement of the VW2019 field Enable Z Rotation. Once fixed, we will make sure to test that all the mentioned workflows are working correctly with Custom Plan Rotation.

About single label attributes - by design it's a single text object and is assigned to one class. If the Single label class Use attributes at creation, the text will use these attributes, otherwise the Lighting Device attributes are used. But as you correctly guessed, in VW2020 SP2 the Single Label is assigned to wrong class, because the default Single Label class is not created. If the chosen single label class already exists in the document, it will be assigned correctly.

We are working on the problems and I'll inform you when fixed.

Thanks for your feedback and testing, I highly appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Yordan Kostadinov said:

Hi @Sebastiaan,

The Custom Plan Rotation field is the replacement of the VW2019 field Enable Z Rotation. Once fixed, we will make sure to test that all the mentioned workflows are working correctly with Custom Plan Rotation.

About single label attributes - by design it's a single text object and is assigned to one class. If the Single label class Use attributes at creation, the text will use these attributes, otherwise the Lighting Device attributes are used. But as you correctly guessed, in VW2020 SP2 the Single Label is assigned to wrong class, because the default Single Label class is not created. If the chosen single label class already exists in the document, it will be assigned correctly.

We are working on the problems and I'll inform you when fixed.

Thanks for your feedback and testing, I highly appreciate it.

Hi Jordan,

Thank you I appreciate you taking the feedback seriously. The grouping of label legend fields is a huge step in improvement of label legends and I am looking forward to this  working correctly.

I understand what you say about single lable legends. I didn't really like them, however they where a good workaround to the lack of 3D layout before 2019. 

While we are discussing label legends may I add one more feature idea to this?

It would be so nice if the data tags: "Use Dynamic Text / Define Tag Field" functionality would be merged into label legends ;-). Is any merging of label legends and data tags on the road map?

Regards,

Sebastiaan ten Broek

Guest Yordan Kostadinov

Hi @Sebastiaan,

It was considered merging or replacing the Label Legend with Data Tag. But the Label Legend is designed especially for the entertainment industry and provides greater layout flexibility, that is lacking in the Data Tag for now. We will reconsider this as the Data Tag evolves.

It's technically possible to add "Use Dynamic Text / Define Tag Field" when selecting text in the Legend Layout, but I'm afraid it may conflict with the exciting Manage Label Legend workflow.

For now you can group text-blocks with the created Label texts for static texts. If the Label Legend is missing something available in the Data Tag, you can create your own custom Data Tag styles for Lighting Devices, or for any other object in Vectorwroks.

Regards,

Yordan

2 hours ago, Yordan Kostadinov said:

Hi @Sebastiaan,

It was considered merging or replacing the Label Legend with Data Tag. But the Label Legend is designed especially for the entertainment industry and provides greater layout flexibility, that is lacking in the Data Tag for now. We will reconsider this as the Data Tag evolves.

It's technically possible to add "Use Dynamic Text / Define Tag Field" when selecting text in the Legend Layout, but I'm afraid it may conflict with the exciting Manage Label Legend workflow.

For now you can group text-blocks with the created Label texts for static texts. If the Label Legend is missing something available in the Data Tag, you can create your own custom Data Tag styles for Lighting Devices, or for any other object in Vectorwroks.

Regards,

Yordan

Interesting thoughts @Yordan Kostadinov.

What if in the "edit fields" window of the label legend manager, one could select a "Dynamic text field' amongst the other standard Spotlight fields. That special text field would then apear in the layout editor of the Label Legend. That way only the "special" text fields would have the "Use Dynamic Text / Define Tag Field" in the OIP when editing the Label legend 2D or 3D layout, the other standard field would not have this function. Both worlds could then co exist and not interfere with each other. 

The main advantage of this is the text alignment of multiple fields next to each other, making the label legends just that bit nicer! 

Would be an amazing addition in the future ;-). But one step at a time i know.

Edited by Sebastiaan

Just tested 2020 SP3 and very happy to see that all of the issues in this topic where solved!

For me, as of now, Label Legends are officially amazing! Thank you @Yordan Kostadinov and your team for listening.

There is one significant thing that I found. Using the eye dropper to transfer "Label Position" transfers both the 2D and the 3D label position at the same time.

This is undesirable, they should not be moved at the same time by one action. The eydropper tool should have a separate check box for 2D and 3D label postions.

For festival stages I always present crews with both a front view and a top / plan view of the plan. And then my top/plan labels would become messed up when using the eyedropper to move 3D labels and vice versa.

Also still hoping for Dynamic text / Define Tag fields in Spotlight label legends 😉, that would make them ultimate!

Edited by Sebastiaan
Grammar
  • Like 1
Guest Yordan Kostadinov

Hi @Sebastiaan,

The Eyedropper functionality works not only for Lighting Deceives, but also for Stages and many other objects, listed in the help box below. Also, the amount of Eyedropper preferences is such big, that we should be careful when adding more fields. This is to say, that we will prefer some Label Legend specific resolution for your problem.

One solution that currently exists and can try is the Create Label Legend from Instrument menu command. Create new label legend from the source Lighting Device and apply it to the others. If you want to disable the automatic repositioning around the Instrument, based on its bound size, you can disable the Use Layout Symbol check.

One option for future improvement, that can give you control similar to the Eyedropper and the ability to choose 2D or 3D Label Legend would be the 

Assign Legend properties to selected context menu. This command was designed for control over the single 3D legend, but can be extended to support the layout legend as well. The dialog that opens is initialized form the right-clicked instrument, so the workflow would be to select the desired Lighting Devices and run the command from the one, that you would Pick Attributes from when using the eyedropper.

Let me know what you think,
Yordan

8 hours ago, Yordan Kostadinov said:

Let me know what you think,
Yordan

hi @Yordan Kostadinov,

thank you for your response. 

I would be very happy if the “assign legend properties to selected” would work on grouped 2d and 3D legends. 

so I would say go for that one! It would be the most flexible solution.

Also in that case I would ask you to take the 3D label position away from the eyedropper again so this will only work on 2D labels again. Then this tool will also be usable again. 

I am aware of the create label legend from selected. But that solution requires more clicks then the eye dropper or the legend properties command. Therefore it is not my preferred workflow. 

regards,

Sebastiaan