Writing 2D drawings to PDF

Have recently set up my own small practice and have in the past used Adobe PDF writing products as a useful way of e-mailing read-only versions of 2D drawings to clients in an easily viewable format.

Has anybody ouit there used Scansoft products (Create 3 in particular) or indeed other manufacturers products to do this??

quote:

Originally posted by Hugo:

Also, if anytime you consider adding a new computer to your setup, consider a Mac. They run Vectorworks like PCs and have the ability to create PDFs built into the operating system.

But as your starting out and no doubt want to keep your running costs as low as possible then you'll probably stay PC.

Actual working within Vectorworks is as similiar as you are ever going to get with a cross platform program.

Dockable palettes are something you won't get with Mac but as Hugo said PDF printing from within the OS you will, but as you get not only a program that will do that and more, in the shape of pdf995, for free, then in makes no odds.

As for speed, well my home P4 3.2 Windows XP machine running Vectorworks is easily as fast as my work G5 Dual 2 ghz both with 1.5 gb of ram.

The P4 cost ?800 the G5 ?1300.

You can change licences from Windows to Mac but only at upgrade time, so that's another couple of hundred to add to the price if you were not planning an upgrade, but irrelevant if you upgrade anyway.

Good to keep your options open and consider everything when planning any purchase.

Good luck with the new business by the way.

Alan

quote:

Originally posted by alanmac:

As for speed, well my home P4 3.2 Windows XP machine running Vectorworks is easily as fast as my work G5 Dual 2 ghz both with 1.5 gb of ram.

The P4 cost ?800 the G5 ?1300.

Very interesting.

I'd always heard there was a price disparity, but didn't realize it was this great. I've never bought a Mac, only worked on one that an employer provided.

Is this why they're switching to Intel processors?

Thank you, Peter. It's hard for the non-Mac user to understand what all the hoopla is about. So what if they change to a different brand of processor? Noone ever sees that anyway.

Perhaps it's because "Windows should be able to run on Apple's Intel Macs", as reported at http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0506intelmac.html

which might mean the first step toward mainstreaming, and eliminating the Mac OS altogether?

This article - http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050609.html - takes an opposite view, suggesting it's the first step toward eliminating Windows, that the Apple/Intel move is actually a bold plan to dethrone Microsoft.

Whilst those with their own views and opinions will read into the decision for Apple to use Intel processors what they want to read, the good news for all us Vectorworks users is its available on both operating systems so we can choose whichever one we want to use, for whatever reason, knowing we have great software that works on both.

Unlike other forums I read this one has always remained above the pointless Apple is better than Windows, Windows is better than Apple heated debates, with users coming together to offer help and advice regardless of which operating system they use.

Hope it always remains so.

All the best

Alan

[ 07-27-2005, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

Personally, I'm happy that Apple is switching to Intel. Now they won't be always lagging behind in processors.

The general rule in buying computers is to get the one that runs the software that you want to use. In the case of VectorWorks, it doesn't matter because it will run on either system.

I purchased a Mac because of the superior interface and because Mac is the DTP computer of choice.

In retrospect, I have complaints about the interface, mainly in the way the finder works, but I'm used to it. Also, the terminal (command line) interface is all but useless unless you're into UNIX.

On my old Amiga, the CLI was interchangeable with the desktop interface. Nearly all software could be opened either from the desktop or the CLI. Also, it had layered, independent screens. It was the perfect OS.

My Powerbook is slow and gets very hot. On the positive side, I never worry about viruses. The interface is pleasant and well designed; most software is a joy to use. The Mac is very stable, but then so was NT4 on the PC.

I always found Windows to be awkward, depressing and to be avoided (personal opinion). I did most of my file and directory work with a utility called "Total Commander" because it was much faster to work with, especially across the network.

One last dig at Windows. From reading this board, I get the impression that the Mac version of VectorWorks is less troublesome that the Windows version.

Steady David, steady.

Seriously I've been considering the change to Mac at home for sometime but the fact I've had no issues, except for the dongle, with Vectorworks in Windows that keeps me using Windows.

Funnily enough it's been my impression from reading this forum that it's the opposite of what you have found. Slowness of response to commands, memory leakage, printer drivers etc. all seem to be an issue for Mac users of Vectorworks. Some saying that they notice Vectorworks working faster and snappier in Windows.

Virus and spyware are not an issue on Windows if you just perform routine and easy implementaion of software to stop it, most of which is free from the internet anyway.

Having said that, been using a G5 Dual 2 ghz machine running 11.5.1 in the studio office I have not experienced any such problems, but only use this a couple of days maximum as I work from my home studio mainly.

So I'm leaning towards the Mac at home when I upgrade but the bigger issue for me is persuading my good lady I need one! Especially because she's aware that the Windows machine works fine and the G5 duals, although are the best value Macs ever, are more money than a fast PC.

Alan

We switched from Macs to PCs when the Windows version of Vectorworks first became available. In fact we were a beta site. We've never been sorry we switched. Macs would be fine if you could buy any software for them. As it is, I don't see the point.

quote:

Originally posted by RAM:

Macs would be fine if you could buy any software for them.

Come on, that's simply not true. Agreeded that there are probably a greater number of Windows software titles than Apple ones as a whole, but most major software program in a commercial sense is available on both. Any that isn't, usually as an equally good equivalent.

I'm happy to use both and in a funny kind of way would hate to have the freedom of choice taken away by not having software such as Vectorworks available in both versions despite probably one day only choosing to use one platform, be it Windows or Mac.

A quality made, reliable, silent running Apple G5 using the Intel processors with the capability to run Windows OS as well as its native OS, without emulation, would make quite a few people happy and mean they only needed to buy one piece of hardware in case that elusive non Mac version of software was needed to be run, other than what they have in their prefered and nicer looking OS.

Time will tell.

[ 08-01-2005, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

quote:

Funnily enough it's been my impression from reading this forum that it's the opposite of what you have found. Slowness of response to commands, memory leakage, printer drivers etc. all seem to be an issue for Mac users of Vectorworks. Some saying that they notice Vectorworks working faster and snappier in Windows.

I haven't had any of those problems that I'm aware of on my Mac. I wouldn't doubt that it's slower than a Windows machine however. I thought I read about problems unique to the Windows version of 11.5.

Another reason I'm looking forward to the Intel switch is that more software might be available for the Mac -- if it becomes an easy port from the PC. Also, I expect that the dual G5s will be dropping in price soon.

It's the little programs that are more plentiful in PC versions. There might be 3 or 4 shareware programs to perform a certain task for the Mac, but maybe 50 or 100 for the PC.

Where the Macs really have the edge is in movies. Every computer I've ever seen in a movie has been a Mac.

quote:

Originally posted by david bertrand:

I read about problems unique to the Windows version of 11.5.

Yes, but it was cleared up by a patch issued by Nemetschek a few weeks after 11.5 and before 11.5.1, but if you wanted to point the finger of blame, not that I want to, would it be at Microsoft or NNA? after all XP including Service Pack 2 has been out some time.

Stuff just slips through the net I guess even after extensive beta testing.

I have to say in my opinion NNA are better than most at picking these up, responding to bugs etc. and getting stuff sorted.

Hi Jan

Again I think its sheer wieght of numbers with regard to the shareware thing, but that's not a yardstick for quality.

From a Vectorworks point of view I say plug ins and other stuff on sites like Vectordepot and Vectorbits the Mac has the slight edge on availability.

I like your comment on the movies, yes if its got to look stylish etc. drag a Mac out the Props department.

They are re-running , again, the TV series "24" at the moment here in the UK and the desks of the good guys are covered in them.

Mr Jobs and his marketing team know the strength and financial potential of brand awareness as well as good looking well built products all to well. No more so than in the wonderfully successful ipod range.

I feel sorry for the guys in the Powerbook department, they must be under intense pressure to get a successor to the G4 Powerbook range out the door. The deal with Intel must have helped here surely.

Gone well OT with regard to PDF printing, anyway glad pdf995 works okay for you, pod.

Alan

[ 08-01-2005, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]