‘Create Viewport’ from within a Symbol

Amorphous - Julian

Question

Often, we ‘create a symbol’ to isolate an object from its context.

It would be great to be able to create a view of this isolated object from within the symbol.

An example of this is- you model a piece of joinery, and turn it into a symbol. You then want to create a hidden line render of this symbol on a sheet. 

It would be far easier to create this viewport from within the symbol, than to try to isolate it by class or other means outside of the symbol.

• Like 2

14 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, bcd said:

There are several cool ways this could be implemented.

Drag-Drop a symbol to a Sheet Layer to automatically create a Symbol Viewport

Right-Click on a symbol in the RB or on a DL to do the same

Symbol creation options - Create SVP

In the OIP - Create SVP button.

These are all fantastic ideas.

14 minutes ago, bcd said:

it's clear that this is a really important enhancement- as we regularly create unnecessary Design Layers to host an unnecessary instance of a Symbol simply to be able to create such Viewports

^ This. I would have so many fewer layers in my drawings......

Kevin

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, shorter said:

Why do you do that?

In my case i do this because I design allot of products / furniture.

For example: when i design a table with a wooden table top  I create  part symbols and assembly symbols.

Each part, in this case a screw, piece of folded sheet metal, a wooden table top, etc, gets his own part-symbol (P_01, P_02, P_02)

Each assembly gets his own symbol as well: main assembly > A_01, sub assembly > A_02, A_03, A_... etc.

Al these individual part-symbols and assembly-symbols have there own individual design layer, and there own individual sheet layer that all correspond with the symbol name.

The separate design layers are needed to be able to create sheet layers with views of each specific part or assembly.

I would be amazing to just be able to drag-and-drop symbols on sheet layers for the creation of viewports (left, right, top, bottom, back, isometric, perspective)

• Like 1
On 12/13/2019 at 2:14 PM, Bas Vellekoop said:

I would be amazing to just be able to drag-and-drop symbols on sheet layers for the creation of viewports (left, right, top, bottom, back, isometric, perspective)

This would be an absolutely huge improvement in my workflow, which seems very similar to that of Bas.I work to manage this day in and day out.

• Like 1

@shorter I think you described the workaround in common use. It has the downside of adding loads of layers to a project file.  This wish, if fulfilled, would eliminate the need for such extra layers.

Agree that sections and other views of the symbol should be available in this proposed Symbol Viewport command

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Like 1