JMcG

Import from Revit - unsupported version?

Question

Hi,

Working in 2020 SP2 - trying to import a Revit model (.rvt file), which I believe is a Revit 2018 format file (it certainly claims to be when I open it in Revit 2020 and offers to convert it).

When I attempt to import to VW I get an error saying "This version of Revit file is not supported."

A colleague is running VW 2018, and can import the file without issue.

I can't find any information on which Revit file versions are supported, but it seems odd to me that 2020 would not support a version which 2018 can import?

Any insights gratefully received...

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Revit files (.rvt or .rfa) created in versions 2011 through 2019 can be imported. It sounds like the file is actually from Revit 2020 or possibly a much older version.

In this instance, it turned out to be a permissions issue with the file. It seems when VW can't open the file for any reason, it reports it as an incompatible file version, rather than presenting a more useful error message.

Specifically in this case, the file was Revit 2018. It had been copied via drag & drop out of a VMware Fusion Windows 10 VM to a Mac desktop. In the process, the underlying permissions were somehow set to no access to anyone. A quick chmod 644, and the file opened without a problem.

Edited by JMcG

JMcG, how did you do that? 

I'm sure the file I was trying to open was made in Revit 2018 or 2019 - and the situation was like described before.

Are you on a Mac?

If so, either via a chmod command in terminal (the below example assumes the file is on you Desktop, and is called Model.rvt);

cd ~/Desktop
chmod 644 Model.rvt

Or you can accomplish the same thing via finder - select the file, then Cmd + I (or File > Get Info).

Make sure the file is not marked as Locked (checkbox), and in the Sharing & Permissions sections, you should be listed as having Read & Write access to the file.

Google can help with more details, but here's a good start for you: http://www.macinstruct.com/node/415