How to add dual dimensions on the space tool

FBernardo

Hi all, 

How can i add dual dimensions sqm and sqft in the same space tag ??

Example attached - i wanted the area to show sqm and then where the "not specified" to show sqft 

I've found a very old post where it suggests to add a formula to calculate acres and i've tried to change it to calculate the sqft -- the suggested formula =#Gross Area#*.0.40468564 :: i've changed it to =#Net Area#*10.7639 (google converter 1sqm = 10.7639) When i do this instead of doing the calculation what it does is showing the Net area sqm value * 10.7639 instead of the calculation.

Any ideas ?

The dual dimensions system only shows on the linear dimensions and not on the space tool.

Link to post - 

Space tool.jpg

1. Select the Space.

2. Click the Space Settings button

3. Select the Additional Data pane from the left column.

4. Select the Formula Field

5. In the Value box at the bottom type '=' then select the field you want to convert then type '/10.76'

6. Select the Space Label you want to edit from the left column.

7. Click the Edit Layout button in the right column and add a tag to the symbol definition (for example #8#). Save the edited symbol

8. If you were kicked out of the Space Settings go back into the Space Label tab.

9. Choose the Label Symbol you just edited.

10. Select the row for the tag number you just added.

11. From the Format Field pull down at the bottom choose Additional Data (at the bottom of the list). From the next dialog box choose Formula and click OK.

12. Click OK to close the Space Settings dialog box.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

Thank you Pat for the guidance. Who knew that your steps would help someone 5 years later?  I had the same issues are the original commenter.

Is there a way to use other boundaries (not walls) to adjust the gross/net values?

In my case, I am trying to use the space to identify land parcels while subtracting out easement areas, roads, ROW, etc. to arrive at a net area.

net-gross.png

9 hours ago, VellumDesignBuild said:

Thank you Pat for the guidance. Who knew that your steps would help someone 5 years later?  I had the same issues are the original commenter.

Is there a way to use other boundaries (not walls) to adjust the gross/net values?

In my case, I am trying to use the space to identify land parcels while subtracting out easement areas, roads, ROW, etc. to arrive at a net area.

Hi Vellum,

If you use the space tool you can use it to create a polyline, or if you for example create a shape, you can then right click on that shape and go to 'Create object from shape' and you have the SPACE there, then is just select the right label etc.

EDIT: Also on 2024, you don't need to use the formulas above, you can now do this in a very easy way with the dynamic text options. Now in 2024 with the way the space tool works in conjunction with the data tags inside the data tag you can assign any text box to whatever measurement you need the last one I've done had sqm, sqft and acres all coming from the same space.

SCR-20240216-ijaa.thumb.png.4cdcbd1cd853a6340fc03c826ac29c61.png

After doing all this just don't forget to press the ADD or REPLACE to definition or it won't be added and won't work! (done this so many times myself and then scratching my head for hours why it wasn't working)

Edited by FBernardo