Working Plane Grips not appearing

I'm re-posting this question from earlier this year as I am still struggling to resolve it.

The attached VW Help page explains that clicking on the working plane will make "grips" appear to allow the rotation of the plane. When I click on the plane only the center grip appears. This grip allows me to move the plane but the rotation grips are not appearing. I can see the axes when my cursor hovers over the center grip but they disappear when my cursor moves away. Any thoughts on how to make these grips appear? I'm currently working in VW2019 but I also had the problem in 2018 (but not in 2017).

Thanks

Ed

256947822_ScreenShot2019-02-25at2_55_26PM.thumb.png.255b4f38771e5c013956165ffb4e4885.png

I don't have a problem here on VW2020, but that is not much help.

In Vectorworks Preferences, on the Display tab, what is the setting for  Navigation Graphics? If it is set to Best Performance, try the other settings. Your hardware should be way more than enough to drive Best Performance, but maybe there is something else interfering.

You could also try either booting into Safe Mode (hold down the shift key while you restart VW) and/or create a new User Account and see if the problem also shows there.

Have you checked that your Wacom drivers are current? Have you tried without the Wacom? All the way from a reboot without it plugged in?

Just grasping at straws.

HTH.

Pat,

Thanks for those thoughts. I've tried your suggestions. I'm still stumped. I couldn't find a safe mode for Vectorworks so I tried the Mac OS safe mode but I was barely able to do anything in VW while in that mode. I could not even set or select a working plane. I liked your suggestion of removing the Wacom tablet, but that also did not help. One of the for computers we have is displaying the grips correctly. All four computers are the same model I am using, although there might be slight differences in the version of the video cards. I've attached an image of what I'm seeing. Note that the working plane axes are kinda faint and grayed out. On the one machine that's displaying these correctly I can click on the exes to get the grips. But clicking on these grayed axes does nothing. I getting my work done but sometimes I get tripped up by an incorrect orientation of the working plane.

Ed

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 11.03.16 AM.png

Try creating a new Users (System Preference, Users) and see if VW runs correctly from that user. That will tell us if there is something else in your user folder that is interfering.

Also check the Interactive Appearance Settings (VW Preferences, Interactive tab, click the Interactive Appearance Settings, the select General - Working plane) are the same between the machine that works and the one(s) that don't.

HTH.

Unfortunately it probably won't be fun. 😞

Did you install any new software recently? If so it may be related to that.

I think the next step would be to reset the Vectorworks Preferences. Open Vectorworks Preferences and click the Reset button at the bottom left. This will restore everything to the factory defaults, but won't make you re-enter your password. Restart VW and see if that fixed it.

If not, quit VW. From the Finder select the GO menu, hold down the OPTION key  and then choose Library. Navigate to Preferences and then drag anything that starts with net.nemetschek to the desktop. Restart VW and re-enter your serial number and see if that fixed it. If not, quit VW and drag the presences back. (or not)

If not,  Goto Libray in the finder (see above) then navigate to Application Support. drag the Vectorworks folder to the desktop and restart. See if that fixed the problem.

If not, reinstall Vectorworks and see if that solves the problem.

If not, see the following web sites and removing cache files and resetting permissions on your user folder.

https://appletoolbox.com/fix-corrupt-user-accounts-macos/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

https://www.lifewire.com/reset-mac-user-account-permissions-2259979

Hi Pat, Hi Ed,

Same problem here. So as advised I set up a second User Account in Windows 10. As Ed's experience, the grips then appeared. So I can use VWX2020 normally, but only in the second User Account. Back in the original User Account I re-set Vectorworks Preferences. But that has not solved the problem. Any specific, further, advice for the windows OS would be welcome.

Thank you,

Mark

Mark - Thanks for joining the conversation. BTW I am working on a Mac, so some of Pat's suggestions might be Mac-specific.

Pat - Dragging the Vectorworks Preferences folder out of the Library folder and onto the desktop worked. Grips are again appearing and working correctly. So now, is it a process of trial and error, dragging VW Preference items back into the Library folder (a bunch at a time) and checking to see if grips are working after each bunch? 

Thanks

Ed

Hi Ed, Hi Pat,

Thanks to the workaround Pat led us to, second User account, I have maintained workflow. (Pat you have also helped me in the past. Such open generosity and technical wisdom, and its open accessibility, is a key reason why I love our app! Ed great to meet you! ). But I will aim to do the Windows equivalent of this fix and report back. Later this week after client care. Thank you again gentlemen. From a rainy cool Macclesfield in the northwest of the UK.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello all you lovely contributors! I've just encountered this myself and after reading what fixes worked above thought I'd be very methodical in determining what piece of Vectorworks was responsible and was successful. Here's the component that was cause in my case: 

I disabled the Vectorworks Preferences.xml file in the Vectorworks User Data and Preferences Folder, by putting an 'x' at the start of its name. (Deleting it would've had the same effect, but I was being methodical and non-destructive in order to isolate cause). 

What I find interesting is that both my Vectorworks 2019 and Vectorworks 2020 suffered this symptom. So, given that:

1. Each version has its own seperate preference file and that
  2. I haven't opened Vectorworks 2019 on this computer for a long time, and that
  3. Simultaneous corruptions are extremely unlikely, 

I'm suspicious that they were both corrupted on opening tonight and is therefore probably caused by a conflict with other software that was open at the time. 

Recent notable software events include: 

In recent past: Brave Browser software conflict with Return to Dark Castle and the Vectorworks Updater app, but wasn't opened tonight until this issue arose. - I think

During this session: GIMP 2.8 seemingly misbehaved. So I deleted it and installed GIMP 2.10.