Tom Klaber

Project Sharing - Where are we?

There was no mention of any project sharing updates, upgrades, or stability improvements in 2020.  We abandoned it last year because it did not work with Google Drive - File Stream - which is the only Dive Sync available for G-Suite.  We need a solution.  We would love to know any other setups we can consider that do not require an in house server.  

• Like 2

+1 has this been resolved? 

Company is moving to Google Drive all in next month and I need project sharing to work. There is no clear info anywhere on this, like what version of what app it supports ect, it just says GOOGLE DRIVE which is totally unhelpful. I have had no response from VW technical support other than them saying it is fully functional on google drive.

On 11/22/2019 at 1:27 PM, Diego-Resuelvectorworks said:

Works with Google Drive but is painfully slow, because GDrive uploads the whole file every time something changes in the file, DropBox only uploads the changes to that file so is much faster

What google drive application are you using and what version? My understanding is that it does not work with Google Drive File Stream.

Edited by Daisy Molare

I've been testing the official Google Drive app for macOS and compared with DropBox the sync process is too slow over the same internet connection, we did the following test, uploaded a file in dropbox and the same file to Google Drive, in that scenario both services performed well, once you started working in the uploaded file, the problem became clear, after every change GDrive uploaded the whole file again, but Dropbox only uploaded the changes to that file. The result, Google drive is less expensive but slow than Dropbox when uploading the changes, Dropbox is more expensive but much faster because only uploads the changes to that file.

3 hours ago, Diego-Resuelvectorworks said:

official Google Drive app

Hi Diego,

There are two different applications; either 'Drive File Stream' (Their G-Suite application) or 'Backup and Sync' (Their Free/Consumer application). Please confirm which one you are using and what version.

Can you confirm you are doing these tests with Project Sharing? We are having issues with project sharing and drive file stream where there are commits that vanish, corrupt vwxp files (have no idea how) or extremely slow commits when only a single person is working in the file. 

Backup and Sync is no longer available for GSuite - and is not supported by Vectorworks.  At this point Dropbox seems like the only supported "cloud" service.  So frustrated that such a core functionality has been forgotten.

I know it’s not what you want to hear, but another advantage of Dropbox is the LAN Sync preference. This means that for those in the office, interaction with the Project File will occur across the local network, so syncing is much faster. Only those working remotely will be actually using the cloud.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

I was keen to give box.com a try because third parties could access and sync our data without it counting against their storage, but was warned off that one too. Dropbox is king for now.