Project Sharing - Where are we?

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

I am new to vectorworks and been using revit and archicad for years. 

These software it good and would be better if  VW improves the following:

1. make project sharing as effective as worksharing in revit. 

2. Please come up with cloud server like BIM360, would be extremely useful during these covid. 

3. File referencing in VW makes the file bigger. It shouldn't be, the reference file should function as proxy file and should not add to the file size of the base model. Please check how revit did it. I am doing big and complex project and once I referenced IFC files (YES, only relevant components are loaded), the files become very big. 

4. provide more video tutorials, cheat sheets and create a books like "vectorworks for grandma"  for new users

• Like 2

We are experiencing problems with project sharing.We are using 2019

There are three of us but only two people can access the file. The Administrator and one other.

I am unable to check out drawings because it said the "Project fIle is in use by another user"

I am not able to ADD myself to the administrators list of people.

We have two vectorworks licences with the same company names but not the same licence obviously.

Is that the possible reason?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
10 minutes ago, Victoria Casey Fierro said:

only two of the programmes are named  the same

Could you please clarify what you mean by this?

It seems you only have read permission on the Project File. Please check that you have full access to the Project File.

Thanks for your response. 

That is the problem the person who is administrator of the drawing cannot find me to give me permission.

I do not come up in order to give me access to the files.

The other non admin person who has a vectorworks using her name as on the licence comes up as a user that can be added to the list of people.  

Maybe that's what I need to change my user name. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/20/2019 at 6:12 AM, Christiaan said:

Pretty solid on Dropbox.

You keep saying this but you should do the VW community a favor and document your setups and process so others can also be successful. There is a lot of pain going on with Dropbox and cloud services—so urgently needed now in this pandemic time—and Project Sharing. My office is having new issues now that we were not having a year ago. 

• 3 weeks later...

We are using google drive file stream.  All working from home.  One user is on PC and one is on mac.

We have the network protocol set to SMB

we have been successful at working, sharing and saving our project.  We have gotten a message about permission being changed and not being able to commit our work.

(see image)

we can rebuild from saved copies and get things going again but the problem sees to keep showing up.  

Its becoming a serious problem with our work flow

any thoughts on this issue

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.09.42 AM.png

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2019 at 5:03 PM, Tom Klaber said:

There was no mention of any project sharing updates, upgrades, or stability improvements in 2020.  We abandoned it last year because it did not work with Google Drive - File Stream - which is the only Dive Sync available for G-Suite.  We need a solution.  We would love to know any other setups we can consider that do not require an in house server.  

Yesterday, Vectorworks 2021 SP3 shipped, and with it Vectorworks Cloud Services' enhanced folder sharing. With the new “Sync and Edit” permission, participants can sync a shared folder to their local desktop computer, enabling workflows that require multiple users to access and edit files stored in a common location. For Vectorworks Design Series users, project sharing and workgroup folders are now supported. I hope you enjoy it!

On 3/17/2021 at 5:39 PM, inikolova said:

Yesterday, Vectorworks 2021 SP3 shipped, and with it Vectorworks Cloud Services' enhanced folder sharing. With the new “Sync and Edit” permission, participants can sync a shared folder to their local desktop computer, enabling workflows that require multiple users to access and edit files stored in a common location. For Vectorworks Design Series users, project sharing and workgroup folders are now supported. I hope you enjoy it!

Would VW be able to release a quick video tutorial / showcase to demonstrate how this is used in conjunction with project sharing and what workflow it replaces?  It sounds super intriguing, but not fully understanding. 

A Video would be great.  I feel a lot of basic work flows are not communicated very well

13 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

Would VW be able to release a quick video tutorial / showcase to demonstrate how this is used in conjunction with project sharing and what workflow it replaces?  It sounds super intriguing, but not fully understanding. 

Thank you.

Still a little foggy - so this would be a cloud storage replacement for dropbox / google drive that is designed specifically for project sharing - which is great.

I went to try this out - but the cloud dropdown says "VCS Login not in Plugin Folder"  - and nothing works.  Any idea on how to fix that?

Hi @Tom Klaber,

The reason why this could be happening is an old workspace that's left over from a previous version. I would make sure that you are using one of the default workspaces that come with Vectorworks 2021 SP3. If you are using an old modified workspace you can edit it with the workspace editor to remove the login menu command. Also note, in order to use Project Sharing with Vectorworks Cloud Services, you must have Vectorworks 2021 SP3. Prior Vectorworks versions will not work properly.

Best regards,

Iskra Nikolova

1 hour ago, Tom Klaber said:

Still a little foggy - so this would be a cloud storage replacement for dropbox / google drive that is designed specifically for project sharing - which is great.

I found the whole "With the new “Sync and Edit” permission..." etc blurb a bit confusing too. It's just that VCS now supports shared syncing + Project Sharing. So, yes, effectively a replacement for Project Sharing over Dropbox/Google Drive, with a few technical improvements that can't be replicated on the third party services (and maybe more to come in the future?). Not necessarily a full replacement of Dropbox/Google Drive, at least not for now. How do you get more than 20 GB of space for instance? Is that even possible? Is it cost competitive? And we only use cloud services that offer data centres in the EU, so it's not a service we'll be using for now.

Edited by Christiaan

Hi @Christiaan,

We are currently investigating the possibilities that can prevent your data from leaving the physical boundary of the country. The ability to purchase more space is also on our radar. In the meantime, we accommodate individual requests for allocating more space as needed. 

20 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

and maybe more to come in the future?

Yes, we will definitely continue to think in this direction.

Best regards,

Iskra Nikolova

• Like 2