VW lights cannot be placed nor seen

MHBrown

I'm using VW2018 with SP6 on a MacBook Pro running OS Sierra. All of a sudden, I cannot place any lights in my files. I click the light tool as I've done thousands of times before, click in my drawing and nothing places. I opened a file that I knew had dozens of lights and none of the lights were there. The renderings created from that model were all over the place as far as lighting: some dark, some super bright. Mostly dark. Has anyone had this experience? If so, what did you do to get it back? I sorta need lights in my renderings.

Thanks,

Mike

43 minutes ago, MHBrown said:

Thank you for responding, but I don't think it is something simple like that. I wish it were! I opened a blank VW file, which has only two classes as you know: dimension and None. I cannot place a light in that file, either.

Mike 

Very odd -

There's no Show/Hide lights apart from Class / Layer visibilities

You can control whether light objects are visible via the VW Preferences>Display but this isn't what you're asking.

You can switch Lights on/off individually or via the Visualization Palette

Have you tried a restart?

I got my wish for something simple. Somehow, someway, the VW Preferences had "Never" for show lights. I must have created a hot key for that and somehow accidentally clicked that combination. I totally forgot about that. Thanks for suggesting that I look at that. All the lights have come back, but it's odd that even a new document had that setting. I suppose that's because it was a VW Pref and not a Document pref. Thanks for solving the mystery: human error as it often is.

Mike

Guest Wes Gardner

@MHBrown, another tip when working with lights, if you render in openGL, only 8 of the actual light objects will show any "glow."  It's a limitation of openGL.  All the lights should show properly in other render modes.  I usually select "Only show in Wireframe" for my lights.

Wes