Shutter cuts gone

RickR

Good news: nothing seems terribly  broken, but this can be a confusing workflow. This picture illustrates what is happening:

image.png

In Top/Plan it would appear as though draw beam is showing the shutter cuts relative to the stage. But it is actually showing how the shutter cuts would play out on an imaginary plane 5' above the stage deck. Where the shadows from the shutters land on this imaginary plane will not be consistent with where the shadows from the shutters would land on stage. Light traveling, trigonometry, and all that good stuff...

From here you can go one of two directions, I'll start with what I recommend. Take all of your focus points and put them at the same elevation as the top of the stage. Now, draw beam will match up much more closely to how the light will land on stage in rendering. I know this isn't proper given the height of the hot spot, but it will make life much easier and you can still move them up and make final adjustments later. I will say in 2019 I did occasionally have some strange results from shutter cuts using RW but it was significantly more accurate in 2020.

image.png

image.png

Option 2 is to leave the focus point where it is at and dial things in from a Top view using Fast RW. One thing I noticed about your file was that you didn't have any shutter cut info in your Object Info Palette. This leads me to believe your were going to the edit lighting device dialogue every time you needed to make a change. You can save a lot of time by going to File>Document Settings>Spotlight Preferences and locating Lighting Device Parameters. From the list set the "Show in Shape Pane" check mark for all the shutter fields. You can now make these changes for multiple fixtures in the OIP

image.pngimage.png

Again hope this helps. Like I said earlier there is certainly something weird in 2019 and I will look into that further. 

For sure, I simply do not know what you do not know and over-explanantion is the safer way to train. Especially for any user that discovers this forum post in the future. 

You are correct, there is something strange going on in those images and it appears to be specific to 2019. I still want to test it some more before submitting the bug later this afternoon. For now, working in 2020 should alleviate some frustration from this workflow.