Showing atmospheric depth to exterior renderings

MaltbyDesign

I'd love to be able to show depth on my exterior perspectives by trying to add some atmospheric depth to the background (the atmospheric filtering or layering that we see as objects get further away from us). I thought I might be able to control the opacity of trees and other background images to achieve this but that doesn't seem to work. Then I thought perhaps there might be a way to do this by adding exterior lights and using lit fog but that doesn't seem to  achieve anything either. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there a guide to exterior rendering that illustrates how to get reasonably realistic depth of view? Aside from shadows being cast, everything looks so flat as though the background trees and building are on the same plane.

• Like 1

This would be an excellent improvement for viewports - maybe it's already a feature request?

At the moment I have 2 vectorwork-around methods (both not ideal).

• Using masking polygons in the VP annotations set with different levels of opacity depending on how far in the background objects are in a VP. This is ok but needs manual updating every time the model changes.
  • Using stacked section viewports set to show different extents beyond the viewplane and with the advanced properties of the OIP setting the attributes settings for objects beyond the view plane to a softer lineweight classes depending on how far back they are.

image.thumb.png.5ffa744f94b5fc88dd53ccfc736446b9.png

• Like 1

Thank you for these suggestions. I'll give them a try.

Your first point gave me an idea; I wonder if, in plan, I could create a series of 'curtains' (vertical extrusions) with varying opacities and set them at different distances apart. I'm think of these curtains as concentric circles so that the view chosen doesn't matter. Have them on a class that can be turned on and off easily. Just thinking 'out loud'.

You're right. I forgot that opacity doesn't work for extrusions. If only I could draw a rectangle along the z axis and then give it a radius, so that it is effectively like a curved (along the x-y axis) curtain or arched screen. Then I could use opacity. But I tried my extrusion idea and gave it a clear glass texture and removed reflectivity. That seems to work okay (need to fiddle with the texture settings to optimize). I created the extrusion from an oval so that it surrounds the building and would work for any view.

Edited by MaltbyDesign
  • Like 1