Chair modeling question

MHBrown

Hello, All,

I hope this is the correct place to post this. I'm using VW 2018 (about to upgrade to 2020) and I've been asked to model a barstool for inclusion in a rendering. It doesn't have to be exact, which is good because I only have the attached image to work from. I know how to create everything except the seat: two bent plywood shapes. The cushion has soft edges, which I think I can do with one of the VW modeling tools. I've mostly done architectural models, so not a lot of curved, rounded pieces. Any advice as to how to approach modeling the seat in either VW 2018 or VW2020? I think it would be done in two pieces. If this isn't the correct place to post please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

monte carlo barstools[2].gif

It looks to me like a flat piece of plywood just bent up on the ends. 

I would:

draw a polygon of the front view of the seat (profile) You may want to just draw the inside or outside edge as an open poly and then do an offset for the other edge and then connect the ends.

extrude the profile to the depth required.

go to a side view.

draw a closed polygon with a concave edge at the bottom to give you a cutting tool to cut the profile. The bottom edges should be lower than the bottom of the seat at both the front and back.

extrude the cutting tool to longer than the width of the seat. 

select the two extrusions and subtract solids.

• Like 2
Guest Wes Gardner

@MHBrown you can download the Sketchup model and then either drag and drop it onto a Vectorworks file or go to File > Import and down near the bottom is Import SketchUp.  There's only one catch - the model that you download from Skechup MUST be one release older than the release of Vectorworks that you're using.  So if you're on VW 2019, you need a 2018 Sketchup model.

Wes

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 9.37.49 AM.png

Thanks to all. I was able to create a flat plywood form--just as the carpenter would do. I then used the deform tool to bend the two ends into the "boat" shape. I must say, however, that the deform tool was very hard to use. It looks so easy on the VW video, but my shape took over an hour of monkey clicking to make behave. I had this rugby ball shaped flat that I looked at in front view to do the bend. In front view it's just a skinny rectangle, but I had to do it in that view to see when my bend was the proper angle. It just never seemed to "take." Suddenly, it did. Any tips on using this somewhat ornery tool (at least to me)? Again, thank you for all the helpful tips on importing the existing on-line model.

Thanks,

Mike