Server corrupting files - please help

We are currently sharing our VW files on a Mac server. We recently started to have some corrupted files and are looking to upgrade to a new Mac server. Does anyone use a Mac server to share their VW files and if so, what configuration has worked best for you?

Has anyone had bad experiences running on a Mac server that they could share, and what worked to fix the problems?

We would appreciate any and all input as we need to upgrade as soon as possible, our damaged files are causing serious nightmares.

Thank you very much for any help,

Mauro Bianucci - Steve Blatz Architect

We have run Mac OS X server in the office i'm working for.

It's running on G4 tower lots of harddrive space and lots of ram are good. the machine does file, office email, and internal web for photo and calanders.

And a previous office ran OS 9 server(AppleShare).

Both generally trouble free.

There was a bit of trouble when we had mixed OS9 and OS X computers. that was files worked on in X would be read only to OS9 machine and vice versa, although annoying there was no work lost to this.

The main on going issue seem to be people leaving files open overnight, they seem to corupt when the backup tries to do it job.

The other one to watch, if the network drops out while a file is open then VW seems to stall if it tries to save, if you know the network has dropped you can still "save as".

also the minor one of VW handling of it's own back up files, being left in the file system.

We have also had the odd blackout as well, where some of the files open across the network corupt as well. I think this applies to blackout happening when saving.

On the whole most time lost would be more to human factors than the server itself.

Hope that is some use to you?

What sort of coruptions are you getting?

which server are you using?

A bit more information and someone here may have come across the same problem.

To reiterate-

Generally Works as it should, is trouble free and easy to manage. Maybe 1-2hours a week average, with backup media changing and user issues.

The problems tend to be more things "to be aware of" rather than issues.

[ 07-21-2005, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: iboymatt ]

We use a combination of macs ad pcs in our office and if the same file is opened by both a mac and a pc at the same time, the file will be corrupted. I'm not sure what order this happens in though. I think it happens when someone on a pc tries opening a file already open on a mac.

Hello everybody,

Thanks very much for taking the time to post possible solutions. Unfortunately we are still having problems and it seems to be almost mostly random. Somebody works in a file, saves it, closes it and when trying to open it again it is corrupted (fortunately only sometimes). It is not a hard disk problem since it is only happening with VW files.

Also, and this mint hint in some direction, if I am working in a file VW11, TIger), and after closing it somebody opens it in another computer (VW11, Panther) when I click to open it it loses the VW icon, does not recognize then program and after opening from VW it pops a sign saying the file needs to be upgraded, and then it works... strange...

We are open to any possible suggestions...

Many thanks,

Mauro Bianucci

Steve Blatz Architect

• 1 year later...

One thing to check is available storage. once the drive in the server that the file resides on is 85-90% full we have found that we experienced mass file corruption, in OS's 10.2 through 10.3 and vw 9 through vw11. For almost two years we haven't had problems with it, I believe, because I dramatically increased our storage capacity.

Make sure the server is up to date on updates and that you've run Disk Utility recently (within 2 weeks)

Make sure all the client computers are also up to date on OS releases and Disk Utility is run frequently (about every 2 weeks; always after all new software or OS updates are installed)

When you get the corrupted error message, do not click on anything. Immediately force quit the VW application. Drag the file from the server to the local computer and then try to open the file.

If you get the corrupted alert again, send the file to us and we will see what we can do with the file.

(If this happens, there's usually something critically wrong with a network card or the computer that last accessed the file.)

Edited by Katie