Thinking about automating labeling

My drawings are unique solutions so reusing text is very unlikely, but I would like some automation. I dislike using VW's database (overhead time\setup hassle\fragility) but if that's the only way then needs must, but I use the worksheet system very often and trust it. Using 2012.

Have found VW loses focus during typing so have a file called labels and type a list of labels (normally using Sublime Text), each separated by an empty line, and then paste them in to empty text blocks on the sheet.

Really hoped for a way to push text to a text block or have a text block pull text from either an in-drawing worksheet or a text file outside of VW, but expect to at least have to copy my labels list into a worksheet. Have considered using numbered single-cell worksheets each calling from a worksheet list but that seems cumbersome and a bit of a tracking nightmare.

- Don't need to auto-number labels or anything fancy like that.
- Normally have less than 20 labels per sheet.
- Do want the labels to be able to be annotations in a viewport.
- Like text objects as they are editable.
- Don't need a perfect solution, and still expect to do a few manual labels.

Asking here first as have wasted a lot of time in VW over the years trying to get some things to work that IMO should have been more straightforward.

Found this  script-to-link-text-to-record - don't have 2013 to be able to save that back but if I go that route will only have one block of text per symbol.

Also looking at is-there-something-like-dynamic-blocks-in-VW? which is much like solution above  - seems very convoluted, unbelievable this is a standard approach.

I don't think VW2020 will do what you want, so VW2012 is certainly not going to operation exactly like you are asking.

Try the following and see if it is reasonable for your requirements:

Create a Record Format with a Text Field (MyRecord, MyField)

Create a Symbol consisting of only a locus point and insert an instance in your drawing (MySymbol).

Place a block of text next to the inserted symbol.

Select the text block and the symbol instance. Choose Link Text to Record from the menu. Choose MyRecord, MyField as the data source.

You will now have a symbol that consists of text that can be edited in the Data pane of the OIP.

Create a Worksheet. Right Click on the Row 3 header. Choose Create Database. Set the Criteria to be Symbol is MySymbol. Click OK.

In the database header row (3, not 3.1, 3..2, etc) select column A and enter "=MyRecord.MyField" without the quotes.

You will now have a worksheet that will show you the text that is entered in each instance of MySymbol. If you edit the text in the worksheet database it will be updated in the record and one the drawing. If you edit the text in the data pane of the OIP it will update the next time you recalculate the worksheet.

You will not be able to edit the text in the drawing like a text block, but other than that it should help get you where you need to go.

And you probably need to start saving your pennies, lira, euros, yen, etc.  8 year old software if hard to support. I don't have a machine that will run VW2012 and the worksheet/database changed greatly in 2018 or 2019, so I can only support you so far. My memory is not that good any more. 😉

• Like 1

Thanks so much Pat, we'll have a go at that and report back.

Re older VW (and yes I take your point re your memory), I'm running on win10 and no issues so far, I don't need a bells and whistles CAD as do all 3D in sketchup or QGIS and really only use VW to layout info and graphics on sheets and count large numbers of plants.

For me VW's worksheet is its main strength; I know of no CAD that has an integrated spreadsheet. When VW 

I'm hoping to never update VW - main thing so far is keeping Quicktime.for VW_v 7.69.80.9 does not get updated. I know Autocad people who are still using R12 circa 1992 - as it does what they need.