Data tag question

Boh

10 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

On 10/14/2020 at 8:47 AM, Mark Aceto said:

The only issue I haven't solved is how to show the thousands separator.

- There is a precision popup just below the units selection in the Define Tag field dialog. You can choose the thousands separator there for the Data Tag defined units.

I’m looking for the comma (not the decimal):

600,000 instead of 600000

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Mark Aceto said:

- Ohh, my bad. Well, I do not think that this is possible at this time.

1 hour ago, _c_ said:

no need to file a VE, it is just a waste of time for us both. Now you had the wish.

- It is better to have this in as a VE, I will add one.

• Like 3

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov, I think that the only missing things left for this tool are:

• the possibility to apply a precision to any kind of number. Independentely from units. Precision is now tied to units (and if you set to document units,  precision is disabled). Where we work with large doc precision there is an ongoing problem of values displaying too long. We need a high precision specially for existing buildings, since they are never orthogonal, we must watch unwanted mistakes. I don't see why precision should only apply to dimensions.

Nikolay, this is one of the things that users are going mad on since I use this application (MCD 7): we want control on precision independent from document units and their precision. Doc precision should only apply to the OIP and ancillary fields, like the Floating Data bar.

• Do have someone fight off that sq m everywhere you see it (SI).

We don't use sq m! 😵

663733593_ScreenShot2020-10-16at13_26_21.thumb.png.a1e2e327f5a3a32cff9e5e9902ddb94e.png

1377773471_ScreenShot2020-10-16at12_56_37.thumb.png.d8bdc0d7bd99e4b8be48c1447dd6043d.png

• the possibility to use Data Tags as read-only on locked objects. I understand the reasoning behind blocking data tags for locked objects (you cannot write values into them anyway), but this kills our workflow using references. We cannot use Data Tags in viewports because the underlying objects are locked. I think that Read-only data tags should be usable, whereby the "writing" fields could disable.

I'll file a wish for the 2nd one. It is very important for us.

We cannot have everything in one file, so the alternative is only to use un-linked tags, which is a pity.

1199525650_ScreenShot2020-10-16at13_24_04.thumb.png.ca468e61dbc97c33740b01b2709abe8e.png

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:
10 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

- Ohh, my bad. Well, I do not think that this is possible at this time.

All good. Appreciate the quick replies. It seems like the issue is that thousands separators are only dimension-object-aware. In the case of "600,000", VW doesn't distinguish that from "abc,def". Or another example would be "1,600 lbs" vs "1600 Pennsylvania Ave".

So I'm wondering if there's a global number (not dimension) preference somewhere that I can set...

Or if there's a workaround that someone has discovered... 

Feature request would be to add a "Show thousands separator" checkbox in the data tag definition window... Then again, the data tag tools seems to understand that I'm displaying units... with precision... and markers... and Document Units... so it should follow the same rules I set for Documents Units (dimensions).

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

@_c_ sounds like I'm a little late to the precision party... Should this issue be a new thread, bumping this topic to the top or is there already a running thread about this where I can upvote a solution?

No, the thousand separator issue is the same as the precision issue: an obsolete concept about document vs dimension settings.

See in the screenshot below what happens if you must work in mm. AND WE DO.

You see, this is the kind of stuff that makes international users absolutely mad. It is a titanic fight.

Mind, we have been screaming about this problem since we had lists, forums and similar. I had the pleasure to discuss this in person.

It's not that they don't know, they pretty much don't want to fix it.

I can refile it as a bug (this is a bug alright) and stir here a few seconds of attention, but it won't help.

Unregarded the vastity of the problems that the usage of doc units causes, a little side comment about the Benchmark: it actually lead a large number of us to scripting (me, for example). Excluding a handful of people, nobody could/can work with the Elevation Benchmark, which I gather is the most re-done object ever. So at least some good came of it.

NOTE: in EU we use dots for thousand separators and commas for decimals. In USA it is the other way around.

2112321111_ScreenShot2020-10-18at06_01_27.thumb.png.b90fb8f71619fb4a68f683ab8c337901.png

Edited by _c_
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

@_c_ sounds like I'm a little late to the precision party... Should this issue be a new thread, bumping this topic to the top or is there already a running thread about this where I can upvote a solution?

@Mark Aceto

I posted now a public wish request for precision and thousands separators, and also filed a new bug report (VB-174832), but don't hold your breath.

This stuff is old and likely to stay forever.

Don't ask why they prefer it that way, but this is how they want it -and mind, they must know how damaging for the VW image this is, among the international user lot.

Edited by _c_
  • Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 11/15/2019 at 1:37 PM, Boh said:

Is there a way to auto assign a data tag to a specific class on insertion? You can do this for other symbols but I can’t see how to do that for data tag styles (or any other styled objects for that matter).

For example I have made some custom sanitary fixture tags that I would like to automatically go on to the sanitary fixture class.

You can now do that in VW2021. Create a style and right click it in the Resource Manager. Open "Plug-in Object Style Options..." and set the Class by style. Every object using that style will be assigned to that class.

On 10/15/2020 at 5:26 AM, _c_ said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov, first of all thank you for Data Tags, what a beauty they have become.

I have a number field (kWidgetReal) where I load a glazing area. This now cannot be formatted with the needed units. Is this by design?

Do I have to turn it into a kWidgetAreaDisp? It would be a bit boring, that implies more code only for supporting conversion in data tags.

Thank you.

That can't be done because I won't have the information about what the quantity is. Is it a dimension, is it an area, etc.?

On 10/16/2020 at 2:30 PM, _c_ said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov, I think that the only missing things left for this tool are:

• the possibility to apply a precision to any kind of number. Independentely from units. Precision is now tied to units (and if you set to document units,  precision is disabled). Where we work with large doc precision there is an ongoing problem of values displaying too long. We need a high precision specially for existing buildings, since they are never orthogonal, we must watch unwanted mistakes. I don't see why precision should only apply to dimensions.

Nikolay, this is one of the things that users are going mad on since I use this application (MCD 7): we want control on precision independent from document units and their precision. Doc precision should only apply to the OIP and ancillary fields, like the Floating Data bar.

• Do have someone fight off that sq m everywhere you see it (SI).

We don't use sq m! 😵

• the possibility to use Data Tags as read-only on locked objects. I understand the reasoning behind blocking data tags for locked objects (you cannot write values into them anyway), but this kills our workflow using references. We cannot use Data Tags in viewports because the underlying objects are locked. I think that Read-only data tags should be usable, whereby the "writing" fields could disable.

I'll file a wish for the 2nd one. It is very important for us.

We cannot have everything in one file, so the alternative is only to use un-linked tags, which is a pity.

1. I can probably do that, file a VE if you haven't already.
  2. I agree with you on this one and I don't like it as well but the Data Tag uses the localised units in order to be consistent with the rest of VW.
  3. I can make it tag locked objects but only if they're not referenced. The reason for this is that when the referenced file is changed and you update the reference the whole layer containing the reference is deleted and created from scratch. That's why you'd lose the link between the Data Tag and its tagged object.
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, TDimov said:

I can make it tag locked objects but only if they're not referenced. The reason for this is that when the referenced file is changed and you update the reference the whole layer containing the reference is deleted and created from scratch. That's why you'd lose the link between the Data Tag and its tagged object.

No expert, but doesn't each VW object have  a UUID? Could maybe the data tags that tag the external ref objects, store these?

Watching this thread fervently, as data tagging of DLVP and ref DLVP objects is much needed in our practice as well. (eg, doing apartments/real estate development, you have floor plan types via DLVPs)

• Like 1