Refresh instrument Lighting symbol update?

Dear VW community

@Scott Campbell

Ive made lighting symbols that have both 2D and 3D symbols.

And I have managed to put records to them. Everything seems fine.

If I make a visual update it works. I edit the symbol.

And boom, all my symbols in the drawing have visually changed. Great!

But when I edit the text in the symbol, adding new information (field angle, weight etc), nothing happens.

Not so great. I need to click on every symbol and re select the symbol it already have.

Then the information is updated.

Is this intended?
Or am I doing something wrong here?

Magnus

The record data won't be pushed to each individual lighting device. This is intended behaviour. However, if you want to do this, then change the record data for lighting symbols via the Lighting Symbol Maintenance command from the Spotlight>Reports menu.

You could also very quickly select all instances of the instrument(s) in question by using the Find and Modify command in the Spotlight menu and make a multiple selecton.

Hope that answers your question.

Mark

Edited by markdd
  • Like 2

Fortunately and Unfortunately that is the intended behavior.

The record data that is attached to the Symbol Definition is copied to the Symbol Instance at the time it is created. There is no link between the Definition Data and the Instance Data after creation.

This is bad when you want even instance of the symbol to be the same, but good when you want to be able to use the same symbol for different purposes.

For lights that have a single definition it is mostly bad as a single type of instrument should have a single definition. When you make a change all instances should reflect the same data.

But think about other uses. Maybe an architect uses the same symbol for all electrical outlets, but uses a record.field to specify the color (white, tan, black). If changing the definition of the symbol changed all of the instances, then that manually edited color for each outlet would be lost if the definition was changed.

There has been discussion on adding a type of field that is live linked to the record default, but I don't know it if has made any progress. 

I started on a script a long time ago to reset symbol instance records to match the symbol definition, but I never finished it. I think due to the large number of options the best way to handle this are what @markdd listed above or just a quick ad-hoc worksheet/report to make the changes there.

• Like 1

Hello

Thank you for all your reply. The "lighting symbol maintenance" works.

But in the future could it be solved by having a setting inside record?

Normaly it is off, but when you turn it on you get a question.

(Do you want to update this information to all symbols....)

When on you always update the symbols, when off you update just in the drawing.

Or you could have 2 different records, one that updates all, and one that does not.

So depending on your project you could choose.

(should he easy to toggle between the records)

I will try CMD+/? while having the fixture marked?

Magnus

• 2 weeks later...