Turn on classes and layers at the same time?

Aside from making a saved view, is there a way to turn on a layer and any classes associated with that layer all in one motion? Here's my situation: I'm working on a very detailed drawing of my bathroom remodel. I have every wall on a separate layer, and the ceiling, floor and cabinets on separate layers. Those layers all have different classes. Say I have the outside wall layer and some of its classes visible and I want to show the ceiling. I have to go the the layers palette, turn on the ceiling layer, then go to the classes palette and turn on the ceiling classes. I want to do that in one motion.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Bruce

Classes are not actually associated with layers. They are completely independent elements. So, an object sits on a layer but is also a member of a class. But there is no relationship between a class and a layer.

So, you might want to put the floor and ceiling on separate layers, for physical separation from everything else, but keep the walls and cabinetry all on the same layer. But put your walls in one class and cabinets in another (you could also break down the different elements of the cabinets into classes, depending on how detailed you need them to be (handles, doors, tops, sides, etc.)

So, in summary, I would use fewer layers and more classes, and then saved views to control what's visible at any time.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Think of the design layer as a physical horizontal plane running through your building. If you're working in 3D, you can attribute height to this plane.

The design layer of an object determines WHERE it is, whereas the class determines WHAT it is, and optionally, what it looks like.

• Like 2