Setting a Printable Area to export to PDF

Kay

Question

I always have this problem -- so I export my VectorWorks (2019) files to PDF before printing, usually 18" x 24". When I set the printable area it creates a million watermarks and multiple page lines. All I want is one rectangle of a printable area that is the correct size, but no matter what I try it doesn't seem to work. If I try to set the number of pages to "1" in the page settings, that "1" changes the dimensions of the printable area. How the heck to I get it to be one page that is 18" x 24" if I am not directly printing to a plotter?

Thanks!

K

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, Kay said:

I always have this problem -- so I export my VectorWorks (2019) files to PDF before printing, usually 18" x 24". When I set the printable area it creates a million watermarks and multiple page lines. All I want is one rectangle of a printable area that is the correct size, but no matter what I try it doesn't seem to work. If I try to set the number of pages to "1" in the page settings, that "1" changes the dimensions of the printable area. How the heck to I get it to be one page that is 18" x 24" if I am not directly printing to a plotter?

Thanks!

K

If I understand what you're saying, the default paper size with VWX seems to be 8.5x11 / A4. The immediate fix is to choose a larger paper size in your printer of choice. I install the driver for a printer I do not have, such as the HP DesignJetZ6610PS and just use that to set paper size (it prints up to 60" wide). That sets the correct paper size onscreen. That make sense? Then, when I publish to or export to PDF, the page size is correct.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 9.14.09 AM.png

You don't even have to install a dummy printer. From the Page Setup Dialog box just like the Choose Size unavailable in Printer Setup and set your paper size form there. Turn off the Page Breaks and watermarks on the left. You can ignore the Horizontal and Vertical Pages.

image.thumb.png.ec0ae830e8a11360d143d52f9bda1ee8.png

Then rather than Printing to a PDF Export to PDF (or Publish) and make sure the Export Whole Printable Area as One Page is checked.

image.thumb.png.1b0dbda1677adc41842084c5f49fa5d2.png

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

You don't even have to install a dummy printer. From the Page Setup Dialog box just like the Choose Size unavailable in Printer Setup and set your paper size form there. Turn off the Page Breaks and watermarks on the left. You can ignore the Horizontal and Vertical Pages.

image.thumb.png.ec0ae830e8a11360d143d52f9bda1ee8.png

Then rather than Printing to a PDF Export to PDF (or Publish) and make sure the Export Whole Printable Area as One Page is checked.

image.thumb.png.1b0dbda1677adc41842084c5f49fa5d2.png

Thanks @Pat Stanford, even simpler!