Trouble moving objects

Kristin Proeger

Question

I am not sure what this is called, but when I move objects, I select them and then move them in the appropriate direction. I type in the correct distance and press return. For some reason, this is not working today. The object will simply move to where I have moved it and will not use the distance that I type. This is the case with every file that I open. Also, I can not properly scale hatches because the scale tool is doing the same thing. I would just rather figure out what is happening. I know there are different ways to do this, but I really don't want to slow down my flow by adopting new commands at this point. TIA

20 answers to this question

First steps of trouble shooting something like is is to Restart VW. If that does not solve the problem then restart the computer.

If that does not fix it we can get into other more detailed troubleshooting (Restart in Safe Mode, Create new User Account, Delete Preferences, etc.)

Nothing that I know of in VW that should cause what you are seeing.

Could this be a User Origin very far away from the VW internal origin issue? 

Origin and large coordinate values

Issues can occur if drawing elements are located a long way from the Vectorworks internal origin. Although, the offset between the user-defined origin and the drawing elements can be arbitrarily large, problems may occur during the merging of elements or in the wrong display of hatches or patterns. These issues are based on a mathematical background. The values near the origin are smaller. Values below 15,000ft are easily dealt with, however values of thousands of miles can lead to problems during calculations performed by the application.

What you are experiencing is very strange. I have never heard of anyone else having this problem.

If you have a little time we can try the next step in troubleshooting.

Quit Vectorworks.

Go to your user Library folder (from the finder hold down the Option key and choose Library from the Go menu).

Go to the Application Support Folder. Open the Vectorworks folder. Drag the folder for the version (2019?) that is giving you the problem to your desktop.

Restart Vectorworks.  

Do you still have the problem?