Tips for working with IFC between Revit and VW users

Christiaan

I'm working on my first project where we'll be co-ordinating with the structural engineer via IFC. It's not a BIM project contractually and we haven't produced a BIM execution plan or anything like that, so it's relatively informal, but I'd like to set some protocols in place and give them a heads up on any potential issues.

For instance we once received an IFC model from an engineer that wasn't broken down into storeys. It came as one object. So I requested that the model be broken down properly into storeys.

I also notice ISO BIM standards require models to be shared via real world co-ordinates, rather than using a local origin. 

1. What's the best way to go about this at my end?
  2. Does this mean setting up a set of design layer viewports with my model set to real-world co-ordinates?
  3. Or a workgroup reference file?
  4. Or would it be easier just to ignore this standard and use a local origin point and orientation?

Is there anything else worth mentioning to the engineer that will make the process smooth?

Edited by Christiaan

Hi Christian.

I really don't know what the standards say but we have some experience charing IFC the informal way.

I would recommend you to choose your origin as it practical for you. Axis A-0 or somewhere but its good to know the true co-ordinates, then you always can adjust later if it is necessary ( from a referenced export file ) 

Usually the Architect starts the project and if you export early the other consultants will adapt their stories and origin to you.    (-:

• Like 2