Vectorworks is unusable after view-port creation

kitkaye

Question

The company i work for has been using Vectorworks for years to draw exhibition stands, however they have always done it manually in 2D.

I have recently been trying to work in 3D to see if we can work more efficiently.

I have hit one huge wall which makes no sence to me and i hope someone can clear this up.

I have created a 3d exhibition stand that is fairly simple with 4.5m walls, truss, 2 doors some railing etc.. 20m by 10m on 1:50

I am then attempting to make view ports.

My issues arise here in 2 ways

1. Creation of a view port in general

I am doing this by going to a front view and creating a view port to a sheet layer.

The view port appears, but basically completely stops vectorworks..

Every time i move the page, pan, zoom, it reloads (which takes forever! even in wireframe which is a view we would never need to use)

Is there a way to take a view port as a 2D hidden line representation of the 3D view?

We need to draw in furniture etc.. so this is important

if not, is there a way to lock the view to stop it refreshing?

I must be doing something hugely wrong as there is no possible way i could make a sheet with multiple view ports / sections without having to wait 20 min between every click.

Its not the computer as these are serious render machines designed for intensive 3D work.

2. Converting view ports to poly-lines

Some of the team are not yet working in sheets (don't say get them working on sheets, as its not something i can do)

They will want to take the view ports and lay them out in a drawing layer.

Because of this it is important to be able to take a view port and convert it to polylines as if it was hand drawn in 2D.

Selecting convert to polylines on a view port almost shuts down the computer and makes it unusable. it also converts all background lines when it finally finishes.

Is there a way to just convert the visible faces?

Any help would be amazing as the Vector works help files are some of the worst i have ever seen.

How is there so little info on such a widely used piece of software??

Annoyingly i cant attach the file as is for one of our clients

Thanks

2 answers to this question

Some ideas to try

-Check 3D conversion settings in preferences, set to low for diagnosing purposes

-Check viewport settings, set detail levels etc. to low

-Check model geometry for insanely high number of polys

-Check viewport rendering settings, turn off everything except eg. openGL

-If still no difference turn off classes in the viewport and start turning them on one by one to find the culprit

-Turn off planar information in the viewport

-Check that no extra layers are visible in the viewport

Hidden line viewports can be notoriusly slow, also room elevations.